Butia Yatay seed popped, now what

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Kansas

Butia Yatay seed popped, now what

Post by Kansas » Sat May 20, 2006 2:17 pm

FINALLY got one of my Yatay seeds to pop.
I potted in a plastic cup with the bottom cut holes.
I put "Miracle Grow" soil in (NOT the potting mix, but the soil used for vegetables and fruits), actual "Miracle Grow" potting mix, some 4 year old cow manure and perlite.
Watered good. Should this work, or should I try something else???
Reason I ask, EVERY other seed other than Fortunei & Washy's has not done well and died (except for a "Phoenix" that has made it SO far)
Also, mentioning the Phoenix, I set my seedlings out last night for the first time this year. I woke up this morning to find that a rabbit ate about a 1/3rd of the first leaf. Will it make it???????

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Butia yatay

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Sat May 20, 2006 4:58 pm

Kansas my experience germinating Butia sp. ,they have all the nutrients they need from the seed pod .Must be natures way of ensuring a quick start to maturity for the first 2 months of growth. I would just plant them in regular sterilized soil with a root stimulator. I also would plant them in the deepest pots,as their tap root goes quite deep. 2 ltr or 1/2 gal Coke plastic containers work very well. I haven`t tried your method of adding manure ect. as everything I have read says that you will burn them with over fertilization to soon.
John :D
Ps how do feel about rabitt stew LOL
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

Wes North Van

butia

Post by Wes North Van » Sat May 20, 2006 11:29 pm

Wait until the seedling is about 3 to 4" tall then transplant. I then put them in one gallon pots with half sand and have soil. This has worked well for me. I have dozens growing.
As seedlings they grow very fast.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

Knnn
Clumping Palm

Post by Knnn » Sun May 21, 2006 6:01 am

I have been using the Sta-Green container mix, ( available at Lowes ) With about 30%+ Perlite added.
Then will usually water in well to flush out the fertilizer additives, Nothing wrong with fertilizer but it may do more harm to seedlings than help.

This combination seems to work well with seedlings, during the summer months you may have to water every other day, during the winter months it is easy to let them dry out a little.

I had several 5 gallon pots overwintered with the wrong mix, With no watering they stayed wet all winter with resulting root damage :|

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Wed May 24, 2006 6:04 pm

UPDATE:
I have had MANY seeds pop and I waited too long with them on heat and the root burned. So after I saw that this Yatay had a really good root growing, and had a tiny nub starting as a "trunk", I quickly planted up.
Since planting up, I can see a gradual growth out of the "trunk". Sorry to write about such a tiny thing, but I am SOOOO excited.
So far, my Yatay & Phoenix are my babies that have made it so far. Other than the normal Washy Robusta, Filifera, Filibusta & Trachy Fortuneis.
I sowed some Sabal Palmetto (I think) seeds and they didn't do nothing (popping). So I put in some soil. I checked last weekend and I noticed they had some roots, but no "trunk". Are these slow starters?????

Wes North Van

Sabal seeds

Post by Wes North Van » Wed May 24, 2006 10:50 pm

Generally all sabal seeds are easy to germinate and they do so quite quickly. They get to a hieght of 3 to 4" very qucikly. They do slow unfortunetly and take a long time to become a tree.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a