Some Palm ,Yucca ,and Banana pics

Palm Tree and Exotic plants Photo Gallery

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Some Palm ,Yucca ,and Banana pics

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:42 pm

Here are some pics of my palm room. As you will see I will soon be overun with Washingtonia filifera. I swear when I germinated 50 seeds ,was not expecting 49 to survive LOL. :lol: All the smaller Trachy sp. are 2 to 3 year olds. The sikkimensis bananas are really starting to take off after the transplant. Should have a great head start for spring. The Joshua trees are also fast growers like the Washys are only 3 months old.
http://groups.msn.com/OkanaganPalms/sh ... John 8)

Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:06 pm

GOD I hope I can get things going like you. Those are absolute WONDERFUL Trachys.
I would REALLY like to get a bunch going here in Kansas and get them in the ground and show Nursuries around here that with a little TLC in the Winter, that we can have palms here in Topeka.
How old are your Fortuneis?? Cause they look REAL healty.
Great job, you should be proud of yourself.

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:10 pm

Thanks Kansas for those nice comments. My wife thinks I`m palm crazy ,and she`s absolutely right!!! lol :lol:. The Large trachys are approximately 5 to 7 years old ,the younger ones 3 to 5 years. I purchased them this summer from a local nursery here. They were a little pricey but I`m a little impatient. I would try to buy the largest T. fortunei you can before planting in the ground. Welcome to you.
Regards,
John 8)
6b-7a

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:57 am

Nice pics John. :D I think you should sell me a couple W. Filiferas when they get bigger. :lol: I'm only kidding.

Regards,
Jay

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:21 pm

Jay if you would like a couple of the Wash. filifera I would give you two in the spring. They are really starting to take off ,their fourth leaf is starting to split and the trunks are large for their age.
John 8)
6b-7a

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:46 pm

UUUHHH, I'll take a couple, I'll take a couple!!!!
Actually here is the deal. I went to all the nurseries and Greenhouses in Topeka and found nothing.
So I stopped in a nursery in Manhattan Kansas and talked to the guy and he was VERY interested in what I had to say. He has actually called me back twice asking if I had found a place he could start buying palms from for his customers. Seems as thou after I told him about the Trachys and Hystrix that he wants to start carrying them in his store and marketing them.
I told him I was trying "Plant Delights" and would let him know. However I recieved a Takil from "PD" that was shriveled and I believe to be dead.
So if you could give me a couple Washys or Trachys, It could be good advertisement :idea:

Anyways, I have a question for you....
As I said, I received the Takil, and also a Fortunei & Hystrix. I planted them in "Scott's Potting soil w/ Osmocote" As I planted I watered. THen whe I finished I watered enough to the water went to the top of the pot and settled. Some drained thru the holes at the bottom. But the soil feels REAL wet. I mean REAL wet!
I thought when you first potted, you supposed to water real good.
I did NOT put any sand in either which I later read you might want to do.
Will they live??????

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:53 pm

Kansas I wouldnt worry about your recent transplants. I would let them almost dry out and go and buy some "SUPERTHRIVE" root hormone treatment and look out after they take off! That stuff is amazing. Does your soil have any vermiculite in it? I definitely would add some coarse sand for more drainage next time. How much light are they getting? Kansas you should try growing Some Washy`s from seed they are the easiest to germinate and the fastest growing palm tree I`ve tried. I have found any palm or Yucca from desert regions will germinate quickly and grow fast. Jay lives in the same city as me so it is easy for me to give him the washy`s . I would have to jump through a few hoops to send palms accross the border as the proper certificates would need to be purchased.
regards, John 8)
6b-7a

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:05 pm

Thats fine :D
I will buy some "SuperThrive" when I go the store next.
Should I unpot and put sand in now, or just leave them for now.
All are under grow lights for 13-14 hours. Is this fine?

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:58 pm

I would just leave them they are probably stressed enough. That light schedule is good but 16 hrs on and 8 off will make them think its summer and time to get growing.
Regards, John 8)
6b-7a

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:57 pm

Hey John,

That would be great. :D I got a couple of S. palmetto seedlings for trade if you want.

Regards,
Jay

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:29 pm

Jay that would be awsome to get some Saw palmetto in trade.I`m thinking of ordering some 5 gal Sabal minors if this sounds good maybe we can share the shipping costs?They really take 5 to 7 years to get that size so spending a little extra for the ability to plant them now makes more sense to me.
regards,John 8)
6b-7a

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:05 pm

Five gallon minors would be very nice. :D I might be able to do that. Let me know the details and cost etc. when you find out.

Regards,
Jay