Musa Basjoo - Winter Question

Banana Plants, etc

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

tropical_niagara
Seed

Musa Basjoo - Winter Question

Post by tropical_niagara » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:17 pm

Ok,

So my Musa Basjoo did not perform to my expectations .... I bought a new plant this spring @ Broadway and planted it in a large pot way back in April. It was my expectation to see a beautiful 8' tree come September, however, I currently have a healthy 2' to 3' leaf making machine .... not quite what I was looking for.
After reading all the information I could find, I think this plant will do much better next season now that the corm is about 4" to 5" in Dia.

The plant is still in the pot, so I am not sure if I should stick it in the ground now and mulch it for the winter ... or cut it down in the fall and winter in my dry, dark cold cellar .... anyone have a similar experience to share?

turtile
Seedling

Post by turtile » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:59 am

I would store it in the cellar. Make sure you leave the pseudostem (just cut the leaves off and the very tip). That way it will start growing next year at the point it left off.

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:43 am

You'll need to build up the root mass before planting out permantly. Most of what is sold are tissue culture plants and I feel they're somewhat inferior to division grown plants. I leave mine to the elements and depending on the severity of the winter, they may freeze right down or have only leaf damage while the pseudostems remain standing. The pseudostems will remain unharmed to about -3 centigrade (26.6 f) but the leaves freeze at 0c (32f). Mulching is highly recommended in zones 7 or less. In time you'll have a nice grove of Musa basjoo!

Cheers, Barrie.

Here's my stand reaching 12' after being frozen down last winter.

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:30 pm

Barrie

I have an extensive horticulture background and I must say you know how to grow a plant. Once again very impressive.

Craig

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:26 pm

Thanks Craig. Nothing to it really as these are very resiliant plants. Routine watering and regular fertilizing will produce fast growth with most any species of Musa or Ensete. I did thin out this stand, as it was getting quite dense.

Cheers, Barrie.

Wes North Van

Barrie

Post by Wes North Van » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:33 am

Looks great and with the hedychium tara or is it assam orange(sp?) it sure makes for a great looking garden
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:20 am

Good eye Wes! Yes it's 'Tara' and the tallest of which is 6' and super fragrant in the early morning and later in the evening. I have the 'Kahili' ginger lily (Hedychium gardnerianum) also which isn't getting enough sun to produce flowers yet. All the surrounding plants have grown so much and are shading it out so, I'll have to move it this fall. This one seems fragrant all day long.

Cheers, Barrie.

Here's H. gardnerianum Kahili ginger lily, from last year.

Image[/b]

Wes North Van

Hedychium

Post by Wes North Van » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:10 pm

I have peach delight but it too is not going to flower this year. I will have to move it too. When do you plan on moving yours? When is the best time?
Keats Island BC Zone 8a

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:19 pm

Wes ... I'll likely wait until a frost knocks it down and goes dormant. I could dig it up and store it in mostly dry mix until spring.

Cheers, Barrie.

DrKungPao
Sprout

Post by DrKungPao » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:42 am

uhm.... call me a novice cuz thats what i am... but.. you can cut the leaves off at beginning of the stalk and dig the whole thing up and just keep it in a dry place over winter?

Am I miss-interpreting something here?

Wes North Van

hedychium

Post by Wes North Van » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:36 pm

I usually leave them in the ground throughout the winter. They always come back but it is starting to get too shady where they are so I want to move them.
Keats Island BC Zone 8a