Washingtonia filfera
33%

Total votes: 12

nlafrance3
Sprout

big trial and error

Post by nlafrance3 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:43 pm

Hey everyone,

Im new on this forum and Im from edm, alb. Yes, our hockey team just lost in the finals boo hoo, but on the plus side ive had my trachy fort and butia cap for almost a month now. I have them in pots and Im posting some pictures. There are a few problems that I'm wondering about though and wanna know if anyone can help. Although the problems probably have to do with the transplant shock, I'm wondering if there's anything else that could be a factor. Some of the new fronds that have grown in have started to yellow and brown on my trachy. A good thing is that the trachy is popping out new palms still and the butia's little palms are growing. I am going to bring them inside for the first couple winters, don't know if i'll ever plant the butia because it doesnt seem to have even close to a fighting chance in the cold. The trachy I'm going to plant in a couple years. Its 7 years old now, and hopefully by age 10 I'll plant it and pray it can survive the terrors of Edmonton winters. Fortunately I think our winters have taken a turn for the better. This winter was very warm with temperatures over 10C in november and january and the temperature only dropped below -25 once. I guess we had a zone 5a winter this year. If this global warming can keep up then my palms may stand a chance as the extremities of very hot summers and deep freeze winters seem to be slipping away. If it works then I will be one happy customer.

One final thing before I post the pictures, I'm looking for young sabal minors, needle palms and/or yucca rostratas. Also a phoenix canariensis. Post a message if you can help thanks.

Nate

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:14 pm

Welcome to the forum Nate. :) I had the same problem with one of my smaller trachys but it was from lack of water and me neglecting it. It's growing a new spear now. Maybe someone else on this board has a better idea and can help you out. :)

Regards,
Jay

Wes North Van

trachies

Post by Wes North Van » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:19 pm

Like a lot of water. They hate being in dry soil. Keep watering it but make sure it is in well draining soil because they do not like to sit in water just damp soil.

I hate to tell you this but in Edmonton you are in a zone 3a climate and no palm will survive your winters unless you use heating cables or put them in a fully heated greenhouse. The only palms that have a fighting chance are sabal minor and rhapidophyllum hystrix and they have not been known to survive a zone 3a winter. However I do not want to discourage you from growing palms. I would just keep them in pots and bring them inside in the winter.

Your trachy is a beauty and I think it has some wagnerainus in it. Very nice palm.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

nlafrance3
Sprout

Hope

Post by nlafrance3 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:43 am

Hey west van,

I am totally well aware that my palms won't survive a 3a winter so i'm banking on global warming to do its part :P . We had more of a 5a winter last year and if it can stay in a range like that then theres a slight possibility the trachy will get through. With above freezing temperatures through many parts of the winter, it could work. The biggest threat is a long deep freeze in which I would definately give it protection. This is all trial and error like my title says. If this palm does pull through then I will have done something that is considered improbable just because I wouldn't give up even though everyone tells me it will never work. I'm having lots of fun even trying to do this so its a win-win situation for me, and yes I'm trying to buy a needle and sabal.

Nate

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:14 am

Very nice palms. You make me jealous.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

Wes North Van

Nate

Post by Wes North Van » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:38 am

Glad to see that you are going to continue. Please keep us informed as to how you make out. Like most of us we are all hoping for global warming to a certian degree. I had a 9b winter this year but normally I fall into the 8b most winters.

Good Luck.

I will let you know if I hear of any sabal minors or needles for sale. The only ones I am aware of Canada is at broadway nurseries in Ontario. I bought a needle there and had it flown out.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a