Got my palms

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

yuccaman
Seedling

Got my palms

Post by yuccaman » Sat May 20, 2006 6:31 am

I went to the last nursery and I wanted to see if there were any palms there. I went in there greenhouse but did not see any thing and thought I would have to drive to broadway nursery But beside a cordyline was chinese fan palm. It was for zones 8 to 9. I still have to try it with a small greenhouse and lots of heat. Thanks jay for the help on the other topic. I could not use the other imghoster :( Should I stick this outside or keep it as a house plant??

http://may20.imghost.us/oonvyb.jpg It might not be very hardy but its worth a try and there is no trunk.

Wes North Van

Fan Palm

Post by Wes North Van » Sat May 20, 2006 11:19 pm

They are not hardy. They can survive here but with overhead protection and an ideal microclimate. I know of one good sized one in Vancouver that has survive in this type of situation. I would treat it as a house plant.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

yuccaman
Seedling

Post by yuccaman » Sun May 21, 2006 5:43 am

Your right and I been told that the ground gets to cold for them. Im in zone 7a to 6b now but im not bringing it outside. And temps are just to cold.

PhilMusa
Seedling

Post by PhilMusa » Sun May 21, 2006 8:55 pm

yuccaman,

Chinese fan palm will definately die anywhere in Ontario unless you bring it in a greenhouse. Are you still in Trenton or are you down Windsor way?

Thanks
Phil

yuccaman
Seedling

Came back from windsor

Post by yuccaman » Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 am

I was helping my aunt put in a small trunk yucca elata. Windsor has a warmer climate so it will do great but im back in trenton again. My aunt has a 6b to 7a climate.I saw needle palms there such as trachycarpus. They all surived. That fan palm won't even make it through december in windsor. I been told.