Weeping Nootka Tree

Palm Tree and Exotic plants Photo Gallery

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

yuccaman
Seedling

Weeping Nootka Tree

Post by yuccaman » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:18 pm

I like these trees they are one of the most exotic trees in trenton. monkey puzzle is a bit better Extremly unlikely to grow in Trenton.Image

desertdave
Sprout

Chamaecyparis nootkatensis

Post by desertdave » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:36 pm

I actually like Alaskan-cedars. One of the few conifers I truly like. They are native from SE Alaska to about the Portland area from what I understand, and they line the freeways in the Seattle area. There are also a few planted in yards in the Boise area. The grass probably provides a lot of the humidity that they require here...

I have seen a monkey puzzle here. This was back in the early 1990s, and it was about 10 feet tall, so it appeared to have survived the 1990 Arctic blast fine... I like those too, too bad they grow so slowly...
Who wouldn't want free pie and chips?

yuccaman
Seedling

Post by yuccaman » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:13 am

Monkey puzzle trees will not like our hot summers to many days with 30C to 35C causes them to turn brown. We get hit by a blast of arctic air that will drop daytime temps to -12C and nights -20C. They would grow slow here too. I have mine in a pot but I do have to plant it. I have to hope for good years. Those weeping nootkas that are native to alaska dont like the hot summers too. The pine that does best austrian pine and scots pine. They can take heat very well. They also grow in the desert.

desertdave
Sprout

Chamaecyparis and Austrian pine

Post by desertdave » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:11 am

Good point, the best looking Chamaecyparis here do get partial shade. Then again, most people plant them in partial shade here; they probably saw them in Seattle, etc. and figured that partial shade would imitate those solar situations to an extent...

Austrian pines do well here... if watered. They are native to a humid continental climate (central Europe) and need water. Many people here plant them and do not water them sufficiently, which opens them up to heat stress bug attacks. If watered they grow more quickly as well as being vigorous enough to resist bugs. Scotch pine, though, seems to do well in almost any situation. What would you expect in a species that is native from Scandinavia to northern Africa?
Who wouldn't want free pie and chips?

yuccaman
Seedling

Post by yuccaman » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:57 am

Those pines drop off needles very fast and in the summer We have bugs building little nests in them.And they dont sucker very often. Chamaecyparis grows well in good shade but no shade they would brown up in the summer.I see a few here but they are rare.The ponderosa pine is always in full sun. They are very common in trenton.I had seen austrian pines in africa. They do look the same like the ones in my area.Since we get alot of rain they dont do the best here. We had a dry summer and people watered them like crazy becuase it was so hot.

yuccaman
Seedling

Post by yuccaman » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:23 am

Heres a picture of pine tree. I was in my model T Ford If you wanted to know what place I was in Image