THIS IS THE WEEKEND

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Arctic Palm
Seedling

THIS IS THE WEEKEND

Post by Arctic Palm » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:08 pm

Ok, this is the weekend I am going to plant my biggest Trachy. Any advice from anyone? Depth of hole? special instructions? dirt mix? Any tips at all would be appreciated. Keeping my fingers crossed and I will post a pic as soon as I am done.
Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:11 pm

Unless your Trachy is already acclimated to the outside, I would wait until the soil temperature gets above 55 degrees. Cold soil can shock the roots.

PhilMusa
Seedling

Post by PhilMusa » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:15 pm

My only advice to you would be to plant it as close your house foundation. But I know that it is not always possible.

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:13 am

Cali-wanna-b,

I am installing a clever earth heating system. It's difficult to explain but my buddy who is a farmer has the system (on a much bigger scale) in his fields. So, basically you take plastic pipe make a spiral column just a bit bigger than the current root base, run heat tube (in my case just rope lights) through and burry it. In winter when the earth gets cold you plug in the lights and they keep the earth from freezing. It should work!!!!

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:16 am

PhilMusa,

I have "accidentally" cut down some of my wife's lilac's..ooops!!! (hehehe). Anyway, I am going to be putting it about 5 feet from the house, facing south in a wind sheltered area. It seems to always be warm there even when its cold outside so I figure its a good place.

:lol:

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:14 pm

I am installing a clever earth heating system. It's difficult to explain but my buddy who is a farmer has the system (on a much bigger scale) in his fields. So, basically you take plastic pipe make a spiral column just a bit bigger than the current root base, run heat tube (in my case just rope lights) through and burry it. In winter when the earth gets cold you plug in the lights and they keep the earth from freezing. It should work!!!!
Ahh, sweet idea. I was thinking of doing the same witha hot water piping system.

I don't have a lot of experience with Palms but with other plants that need a good draining soil put them in a raised planting bed if possible. Raised beds drain faster and heat up quicker than the surrounding soil. GOOD LUCK!!!

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:21 pm

Cali-wanna-b,

I am going to be building up the soil so all my tropicals will sit higher than the ground around them.
Thanks.

ryan
Seedling

Post by ryan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:25 pm

Arctic Palm wrote:Cali-wanna-b,

I am going to be building up the soil so all my tropicals will sit higher than the ground around them.
Thanks.
Thats a good idea. Not only will that aid in drainage which is very important, but the palms will look taller too!

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:30 pm

ryan,

That Valleyview is awesome.....I forgot to call there today. I am liking the trees there. Look at the 9 to 10 foot adonidia palm.

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Palm planting

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:51 pm

Arctic palm you might want to allow your palm some time in the shade to acclimatise to the suns rays or you will end up with palm frond sun burn. I read somewhere it is best to dig the hole twice the radius of the pot and 1/2 as deep as the height of the pot. I use "Pro Mix hp" brand name soil it has lots of perlite and peat for good drainage and also is sterilised to prevent root rot.I would also buy some "Thrive alive vitamin" for the roots I like that idea of clever earth system for preventing soil freezing I`ll have to look into that.
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:11 pm

Okanagan desert-palms,

I have placed it outside on my front deck (facing south) in it's pot for now. I will leave it out there for the next few days and nights to get it used to the outside. I don' t really have shady spot to put it. Tomorrow is supposed to be party cloudy to mostly cloudy and a high of 13C. As far as the whole, thanks for the advice. Thats going to be a big hole but I will do it. It will need to be a bigger for the heating system I want to try.
Anyway, thanks for your time.

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:08 pm

Hey what a neat idea (buried heat)...
Kinda like geothermal for plants, ha ha.

Take some pics while you're building it, so we can follow the progress please.
Barb

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:16 pm

Well today ended up being 100% sunshine not a cloud in the sky. Temp got to about 17 with very little wind. I had all my children outside!! I think the majesty's liked it. I have taken some pics and I will post them when I get back from work.
Also, just got another Musa Basjoo and some more T. Fortunei and Washintonia's from corollatropical.ca.
Barb, I will take photos for you when I build the heating system.
Very good day.....

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:27 pm

lucky1,

I decided to post before I went to work.
The one pic is of the Musa Basjoo's and the T. Fortunie's I bought off corollatropicals and the other is my big Trachy waititng to be planted. (still think I am going to give a few day out in it's pot first)

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:34 pm

Hey nice looking plants! Trachys look ready for summer heat.

I've also ordered a Musa basjoo from Corolla tropicals...hope mine is a good size too. Looks like Ryan has some pretty good stuff (I'm still waiting for him to stock Bougainvillea...my fav, but I've killed two...maybe three).

Looking forward to receiving the Musa soon.

Isn't it wonderful when weather is better than had been predicted.
Barb