First greenhouse

Discuss greenhouse related topics and outside weather protection methods.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

tropicman
Small Palm

First greenhouse

Post by tropicman » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:20 pm

About 7 yrs now,8x10 fter,I made it with 2, 4inch air spaces,so It really doesn't take much to heat it,usually just the pilot
light keeps it above freezing,checking on my dwarf cavendish bananas,which should fruit this year.Image
Image[/img]

ryan
Seedling

Post by ryan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:04 am

Nice DC, Do you keep your plants in your greenhouse all round? What material did you make th egreenhouse out of. I am going to build a bigger greenhouse this year and I need ideas.

tropicman
Small Palm

Post by tropicman » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:00 pm

Ryan,

No I take my plants out in the spring.
I made my greenhouse quite different,first I made a wood frame,and covered both sides of the 2x4's with 6 mil heavy duty
construction grade plastic,then I built a 3inch pvc frame over the wood frame,and covered it with 6 mil greenhouse plastic.
This gave me 2,4 inch dead air spaces,which would help keep it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
It's a 8x1o greenhouse,and usually just the pilot keeps the temps above freezing,only when the temps get close to the low teens and single digits do I turn the heater on low,it is only a 3000 to 6000 btu heater,and it does not have a thermostat.
I went this route,because we occassionly have blackouts,and if I had the double poly with the fan,keeping the air blowing between the 2 polys seperated,if I was to loose the electricty,I would lose my insulating factor.
Downside to the 3 layers of plastic poly,I have about 55 to65 % light,but just growing tropical plants in the winter,works out just fine.
As you can see the banana,still puts on a new leaf every 3 to 4 weeks,and the hibiscuses still bloom,so it must be alright to substain a good growing conditions.
For a floor,I use the black roof rubber liners they use for flat roofs,and it absorbs the sun and heat,to keep the floor warm.

Bgreen
Sprout

Post by Bgreen » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:25 am

Very nice you are going to get a few more questions about this guy when I visit! lol
Thanks,

Benjamin Green

tropicman
Small Palm

Post by tropicman » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:41 am

Ben bring all your questions!
I'll try to best to answer them,that plastic greenhouse is now be upgraded to a polycarbonate greenhouse,just finished the outside.now to get to work on the inside with lights and fans,btw,it's about 4 ft taller than the other greenhouse was,getting ready for those taller palms and other plants.

Don