Any musicians?

Discuss all your non palm related stuff here.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Barrie

Any musicians?

Post by Barrie » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:03 am

Are there any guitar players or musicians among us? I learned to play guitar 40 years ago but don't play nearly enough anymore. I still play once in a while and own a 1995 Fender Stratocaster Plus (sunburst) which I run through several Boss pedals and 50 watt Marshall half stack. I also own a Fender 210 acoustic and a 1959 Gibson SJ.

Cheers, Barrie.

macario
Seedling

Music

Post by macario » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:36 am

Well Its been I while since I have played but I play classical style piano

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:43 pm

Hey Barrie. I have a 2005 Gibson Explorer & a 1982 Gibson Explorer CMT. Great guitars ! 100 Watt Marshall lead. Ibanez AD-9 analog delay, TS-9 tube screamer & CS-9 chorus.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:26 pm

Also really looking into getting one of these Ovation Custom Legends...

My style of music is probably a bit heavier than most on here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43XaxZcW0pY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RVQ1NcTwQ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjjU_if7mpo

Ok so now you all know how I got my screen name. One of my favorite bands from back in the 80's. We used to do covers of these guys... Wow seems like just yesterday....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gd_4mLm ... ed&search=

Barrie

Great Laaz

Post by Barrie » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:01 am

Cool, that you're a player too! You're right ... I like heavy but in a different vein. I was inspired at the time when the second wave British invasion came. Bands from the late 60's and into 70's formed a big part of my taste. Deep Purple tops the list in the hard rock catagory for me, but there are plenty of others too. Most stuff I listen to and play nowadays is Blues Rock based. The master in my eyes is Rory Gallagher who sadly passed in 1995 leaving a ton of great music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xhRKCgnmNo

Here's a link to pics of my Fender Strat. For some reason I haven't taken any pics of my Marshall. I'll have to do that and add 'em in.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/pho ... 8780yuiIYV

Cheers, Barrie.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:06 am

Hey Barrie I can appreciate all the old stuff. When I was a kid my parents listened to some great music which got me into music in the first place. Bands like Free, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Rainbow, Bad Company....

Heres one of my favorites from the time. So much feeling in Paul Kosoff's guitar playing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH5wbYP5xkQ
Last edited by Laaz on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barrie

Awesome stuff.

Post by Barrie » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:32 am

Paul Rodgers was and is, one on the greatest vocalists in Rock music. It has to be why Queen picked him up for their recent tour. My step son got me intested in Mega Death and Metalica a number of years ago. Those guys could write some fine tunes!
Like I say, most stuff I'm into nowadays is Blues/Rock based and I'd sure like to delve into more slide guitar. (If I ever find the time.)

Cheers, Barrie.

Barrie

Strat and Marshall

Post by Barrie » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:06 pm

Laaz.... here's a quick pic I took of my Strat and Marshall set up. Effects pedals are kept to a minimum ... Blues Driver - Digital Delay - Equalizer - and Power supply (all Boss).

Cheers, Barrie.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:39 pm

Nice setup Barrie. Here are my two beasts. The rest of the setup is out in the garage at the moment as I'm having the floors & ceilings redone. (I think my wife would like them to stay in the garage... ) :lol:

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:54 pm

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:18 pm

Nice taste in music. It's similar to mine. I would add some early CCR as well as BTO.

But I can't carry a tune in a suitcase. My grandfather was one of the best at his instrument in his generation. The talent skipped 2 generations before settling with my son. He is into heavy metal Christian and has written some pretty decent songs. He's got a small following here but nothing commercial. He is between bands right now as he is pretty difficult to work with.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

Barrie

Nice axes Laaz!

Post by Barrie » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:33 am

Those Gibson Explorers sure have a radical body design. Gibson did make some interesting bodies over the years ... Flying V, Explorer, Firebird, M3, Thunderbird Bass etc. You appear to keep yours in excelent condition. I do the same and have all the tags and so on that was with the guitar when it was new. As with you, my wife has very little appreciation for my guitar gear. It would be nice to have a studio or at least a sound proof practice room.
Here's a couple of pics of my acoustic guitars, first my Fender F210 (nothing special here but a decent sound).

and my family heirloom, passed down from my Dad (rest his soul) a 1959 Gibson Southern Jumbo (built in 1957)

Here's one of interest a contact of mine in England send me. He was recently at a guitar show there. Here's a Telecaster Jeff Beck previously owned and for sale. If you convert the British Pounds to US dollars, that's $15,758 ($18,317 Canadian) !!!

Cheers, Barrie. ---- P.S. Thanks for the YouTube stuff, it does jog the memory!

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:03 pm

Awesome guitars Barrie. That 57 Gibson is a real sweet piece ! This is the same Custom Legend I have been looking at. These are really killer Electric / Acoustic guitars. If you get the chance to try one out at the local shop you won't want to put it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_tORtmKIjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqlmJ3iucNw

http://www.ovationguitars.com/index.cfm ... ail&mid=56

$1,800 but well worth the $$$
Last edited by Laaz on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:06 am

The first time I heard an Ovation guitar, Nancy Wilson (Heart) used one back in the 70's. My dad bought that old Gibson back in '59 and it was expensive then. I think I recall him saying $200 plus and mom let him know how she felt! But that Gibson put a few meals on our table so it paid for itself. When my dad passed away I shipped it to his brother (my uncle). My uncle Slim played a lot in the 50's to the late 70's before he stopped touring with his band. He's also a restoration carpenter and did some much needed work on the old Gibson. He replaced the badly warped pick guard (always problematic with these models) and replaced it with a commemorative pick gaurd. A few other minor repairs too and we hope to get together some day soon when he'll return the guitar in person. Pick a tune or two as well on a family heirloom.

Here's the new pick guard. Also inscribed is "Folsom Prison Blues" a favorite tune of my Dad's.

... and a pic of my uncle and his band taken in the early 60's.

Cheers, Barrie.

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:14 pm

Here's a unique video featuring Johnny Winter on bass (normally on guitar) and John Paris, Johnny's regular bass player on guitar (reversed rolls). Also, a mid song mix of the two which I can't imagine the physical and mental complexities of the two.

Cheers, Barrie.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=bRd0M41Tw3M

patrick620
Sprout

Post by patrick620 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:28 am

Wow! Very nice Explorers. I started playing the guitar when I was 13 (I'm 39 now). I'm way out of practice and don't even own a "real" guitar at the moment. I have an old beat up acoustic that I pick up evey once in a while but I dont seem to make time to get back up to speed. I started out with a Sears knock off Explorer, and when I was 16 I worked at a "KarmelKorn" shop in the mall and managed to save enough to buy a 1984 model Gibson Flying V. I plan to get back into it some time soon. My work schedule has just changed so I'm expecting to have more time for things like that. I'm thinking about looking at an older Charvel/Jackson or maybe an ESP. I also like to rebuild old tube audio equipment so I'm thinking I might find an old tube head to get running. Maybe build a 4-12 cabinet with some celestions...........there I go day dreaming again, lol. Anyway, great topic and it's nice to see some other musicians here Ah btw, Laaz. I'm an 80's "hair metal" nut. Thats what I grew up listening to and I've not heard anything better since. ;) MAIDEN RULES!!!! lol
Happy growing.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:04 pm

We need to update this thread. I just picked up a NOS 1997 Fender american strat in natural ash. I changed out the pickguard because the black looks much better. Removing the pickguard I see it has the "swimming pool" rout... Never much like the single coils, might just buy another pickguard & install a super distortion & paf in the neck since I don't need to make any mods to the body... I'll get some updated pics up this weekend.

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:12 pm

Geez Patrick620 ... you gotta get back in to rockin', even an acoustic to brush up on your technique or have fun.

Todd (Laaz) ... I owned a natural ash body Stratocaster back in the late 70's. I believe it had a white pick guard and I sold that along with a Gibson amp with 4 x 10 's.
Looking forward to seeing some pics of your new axe! I wouldn't rush to judgement on the single coils ... Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Hendrix, Rory Gallagher etc can't be wrong :D

I picked up a Fender (Squire) Pression Bass relatively cheap a few months back. Now looking for a suitable amp just to knock around with. It's a new learning curve but with a guitar background it's a natural and it's been fun.

Cheers, Barrie.

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:29 pm

Here's a bass player for ya ... harmonics, finger tapping, hand over neck, chording etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2vQTZiFXSE

Be some time before I get there :lol:

Cheers, Barrie.

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:47 pm

Just had to add this vid for any of the Jazz pianists (or any true musicians).

Hiromi Uehara is possesed man, she's insane as a Jazz pianist. See the video and tell me I'm wrong !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6pgM-NVfWg

Cheers, Barrie.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:43 am

I hear ya Barrie. I'll wait a while to see if they grow on me.

Check out this vid, a great song with killer bass & guitar. BTW Dave's black strat is a 1957 routed for humbuckers and is actually Paul Kossoff's old guitar that Dave picked up in the late 70's after Paul died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5jaRipA ... re=related

A bit of history on the Strat.

http://www.blogcatalog.com/search.frame ... 53500341b4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddDGj1Xk ... re=related

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:36 am

Awesome info Todd. Amazing how stuff like this is so readily available via the net.
Sounds as though you have plenty of options with that Strat. Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers, Barrie.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:29 pm

Heres a few pics. Came out crappy but what the hell. BTW got this Marshall 1/2 stack MG 100 series off Craigslist a couple months ago for $200. Sound much better at low volume than the tube amp. Thinking about selling my JCM 800 and getting the JVM 410...

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:20 pm

That's a great looking Stratocaster! I do like the natural finish. You may already know but here's what Fender shows for production dates on your serial number.

N6 + 6 or 6 digits
N7 + 5 or 6 digits
V + 5 or 6 v (U.S. Vintage Series except '52 Telecaster)

N7 + 5 or 6 digits
N8 + 5 or 6 digits
V + 5 or 6 digits (American Vintage Series)

As for Marshall amps, my head is an early 80's JMP. I'm happy with that but It's pretty bare bones.

Cheers, Barrie.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:06 pm

Had to get the kids cleaned up for Christmas... :wink:

Left to right : 1997 USA Strat, 2007 68 reissue VOS Les Paul custom, 1981 E2 Explorer, 2005 Mahogany Explorer.

Last edited by Laaz on Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:34 pm

They look great and sound even better. These kids stay quite until you want to here from them.

Cheers, Barrie.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:05 pm

These kids stay quite until you want to here from them.
Yeah, but right now my ears are bleeding. Once you get them all out you need to crank em up for a few hours... :lol:

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:59 pm

Hey Todd, these kids require no college tuition or, can I borrow the car?, can you loan me 20 bucks?, and the miriad of other nuisances associated with child rearing.
These "kids" are always shining, never a disapointment, and are likely to become best friends.

Any favorite picks you use?

Cheers, Barrie.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:38 am

Any favorite picks you use?
Always use Dunlop or Fender heavy picks and Ernie Ball super slinky .009's. These kids can still nickle & dime you with setup's, strings, pickup swaps... Hell I just picked up two sets of NOS 1972 Embossed Gibson pickup covers that are super rare and impossible to find. Set me back $300. One set is going on my Mahogany Explorer, but I want them on Gibson Classic 57's pups so that is going to cost me another $250...

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:45 pm

Sweet ... those are very nice! It'll only add value to your already valued guitar. Where they ever issued on a production model Gibson?

I use .009 - .046 D'Addario XL's and Fender medium picks mostly. I have a few heavys around but rarely use them.

Cheers, Barrie.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:54 pm

Where they ever issued on a production model Gibson?
Yes only on 1972 & early 73 Les Paul customs and not all had them. Like I said super rare...

First one has mini's

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1972-Gibson ... 3a560055c6

http://cgi.ebay.com/1972-Gibson-Les-Pau ... 518e9603a7

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:24 am

Geez ... looks like the first one had some major headstock damage and was repaired.
The second one looks much better, albeit with a heftier price tag to match.
I always wear a cloth that covers the rivets on my jeans to prevent the back of the guitar from getting damaged.
It is evident on the "Black beauty".

Cheers, Barrie.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:05 am

Les Paul customs are very expensive now. Mine is a very limited edition. & I paid over $4,000 for it new. It is a reissue of the 1968 Les Paul custom VOS and very few were issued in classic white. The paint aged to the nice cream color at the factory. It's not that bright alpine white that regular Les Paul customs have. It also weighs in at almost 11 pounds, but has sustain from hell.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:08 pm

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:39 pm

Yikes!!! Four grand and change for your Les Paul? I did notice it in your previous post and without asking, wondered what exactly you had there. I played an original '57 Les Paul that a buddy of mine owned. It was sweeeeeet.
By all accounts yours is high end and deserving of limited play time and collector status .... or are you they type to play 'em no matter what?
Since Les died I have wondered if prices would jump on some of the more obscure models.

Cheers, Barrie.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:37 pm

It stays in the case most of the time, but I do play it. Most stands with that black rubber will eat into the finish of white Les Pauls. It is in mint condition and I plan on keeping it that way, but I also din't spend that money not to play it. These special issue Les Pauls have a special serial # as well 07xxx8. 07 being the year it was made, xxx being the production number and 8 being the year it was reissued after 1968.

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:57 pm

FYI ... I have a 1957 Gibson acoustic that was left to me when my father passed away.
A long family history with stories accompany this guitar. It's a part of my soul.

Cheers, Barrie.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:05 am

Barrie you are very lucky to have a guitar like that. Let me know when you can flip me a loan so I can pick this one up... :shock: I think brand new it cost around $200

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1960-GIBSON ... 2a0373e4c7

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:24 am

A loan? ... that would take a second mortage to buy that guitar. It's a museum piece :!:
At $200 (a fair chunk of change back then) buying a dozen of these would have been a great investment.

Cheers, Barrie.

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:54 am

I thought I'd post some pics of my '57 Gibson acoustic. My Dad orignally bought this new back in '59 I believe. Mom had a fit but hey what guy hasn't had that happen. She got over it when he put it to good use playing in clubs in the evening hours earning extra cash. I don't recall the original price but under $200 seems to ring a bell.

He gave it to me on my 17th birthday and he borrowed it back for another 30 years :lol: This old girl has put on plenty of miles and has the patina to prove it. After my dad died, my uncle (his brother) took possession of it to do some much needed work. The pick guard was notorious for warping and lifting on these models, so he replaced it with a tribute pick guard in memory of my dad and one of his favorite tunes.

Sadly, my uncle too passed away in early November, but his and my dads memory are still strong, certainly anytime this guitar comes out of the case.

Cheers, Barrie.