Majesty Palms

Discuss palms you grow inside.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Knnn
Clumping Palm

Majesty Palms

Post by Knnn » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:27 am

Has anyone ever had one of these grow while inside?
I have tried everything I can think of and it still looks like it did when I brought it home 8 months ago.....( well, besides the yellowing)

-Steve

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:45 am

I had GREAT luck with mine. Until about a month ago (had it two years) when it died from some fungus. I did not know you were not supposed to water onto the canopy. I had spear pull and it died.
But for two years it thrived, putting on a new frond about 1 every 3-4 weeks.

Knnn
Clumping Palm

Post by Knnn » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:20 pm

Sorry to hear about yours, I'm glad you have had some luck with it.

These seem to be a curse to me,
I like the looks of them but we just don't get along.

Knnn
Clumping Palm

Post by Knnn » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:02 pm

Forgot to ask you how you kept yours going? Any tips to pass along?

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:44 pm

Kept beside window on WEST facing wall. So not real hard direct light, but good light. Watered once two weeks. Thats about it.
I plan to come to Salina maybe next week. Are you around during the day?

jds4real

Majesty Plams and their care

Post by jds4real » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:55 pm

Greetings,
I'm very new at this, but here goes. I have 3 Majesty Plams, all approimately 6'. I've had them from 1-3 yrs. Just recently, I've noticed, what I believe to be mite on two and have begun spraying them with a Houseplant & Garden insect spray by Garden Safe. This past week, I noticed that most of the older fonds have begn to turn yellow/brown on te ends. Do you know the cause of this and the solution? Also, the solution to the insect issue?
Is there a good site where one kind read up on various tropical and indoor plants (I have 20 plus) that includes general care instructions?
Thanks

Knnn
Clumping Palm

Post by Knnn » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:22 am

I've found a soap solution to be about the strongest I've had to use this year, The spray on bug killers I've used always cause some weird reaction so I tend to stay away from them. If you can take the plant outside and hose it off that would help, also, If you have any ladybugs in your area, they can make short work of that too!

General care instructions can vary so widely that it is better to research the plants you have and develop your own scheme, As long as you are providing the basics ,you can fine tune what seems to work best in your enviroment.

Older leaf tips browning & yellowing can be considered normal as long as new growth is evident.

(On a majesty it is just normal :|

vincolo1
Seed

Post by vincolo1 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:18 am

while these are great looking plants, they are not for the indoors. I have gone through no less then 6 of them and just bought two more. I keep trying different methods, but they all end the same way.....dead!
they are horrible mite/mealybug magnets, they are finicky with house water (use rain water instead), they will yellow regardless of the fertilizer or care methods. they are just not an indoor plant.
I live in IOWA and currently have 39 palms indoors wintering and this year I am trying this without the use of metal halide lighting. so far the only ones to give me any trouble are the Majesty palms....even the W Robusta is doing just fine on filtered light alone.

tropicman
Small Palm

Mine not looking too bad

Post by tropicman » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:02 pm

Mine have been putting on new growth,so spring must be a coming!!!Image[/img]