For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

ronbruce
Seedling

Sabal minor seedling must be alive!!

Post by ronbruce » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:29 am

Or is it my imagination?

Here is the photo from Aug 20

And here is a photo I took today. I may be wrong but is that not growth? :shock:

I almost feel like digging it up to protect it better this winter and maybe give it some heat for more growth.

Any thoughts on this? Obivously it's not in a sunny enough spot and my GDDs are not enough in this area if it's going to be thrashed every winter.

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:15 am

Ron it is alive. I would not expect it to make it through another winter if it just sprouted again in Aug. I don`t think where it`s located is as much of a factor as the size of the small seedling. A larger palm would be much more able to withstand our winter here. I would pot it up and wait a few years to plant it again IMO. How are those planted Trachy seedlings doing?

John
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

ronbruce
Seedling

Post by ronbruce » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:37 pm

Thanks, John.

The trachies look good and some have begun to fan. There are so many of them they should really be separated.

I was thinking about lifting them but will follow Paul's advice and leave them till next spring.

Another winter may prove which are the hardiest ones for me... under leaves of course. :)

Okay I may just lift that Sabal then if I get my butt in gear. I was shifting around a few other plants today in the garden much to the neighbourhood's wonder no doubt. And I'm wondering just how deep that seedling Sabal will have gone.

My next project will be to rig up a metal shelving unit for seed germination and now palm convalescence. If the light is strong enough I may have to crawl under there too.

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:17 pm

Keep in mind the Sabal genus is root sensitive and highly resents root disturbance. One that has been in early recovery may be subject to conditions beyond it's cabability if unearthed.
Personally, I'd go with extra protective measures rather than further risk it's health.

Cheers, Barrie.

BILL MA
Large Palm

Post by BILL MA » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:47 pm

I agree! Time for some TLC, wall o water with some mini lights might be enough with a mulch cage protected from rain.

Bill

Paul Ont
Large Palm

Post by Paul Ont » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:17 am

Agreed. Leave the minor in place. Give it some copper fungicide, and a nice warm 'hat' for the winter. I love well grown Sabals (S. palmetto is my favorite palm, but only with a full crown), too bad they take SOOOO long to recover!

Paul

ronbruce
Seedling

Post by ronbruce » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:18 am

Thanks. I was wondering about leaving it there but I'll have to research more into the wall o water, etc.

I'd prefer to avoid heating but will have to figure out something here soon. Maybe I could double rose cone it along with mulch. And the water is for the freezing and thawing thing? I'll have to look that up.

I still wondered about digging around down there as there were at least ten seedlings and now just this one? :wink: