Tough winter

Cold hardy desert plants etc.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Alchris

Tough winter

Post by Alchris » Sat May 17, 2008 10:04 am

I lost both chollas, my big beavertail cactus and an opuntia fragilis. I had started pads from my O. polycanthus and O. fragilis last summer and they all died.

All that I have left is a 2 year old Beavertail cactus, an O. polycanthus and a bunch of hens and chicks.

The 2 Yuccas came back from their roots with Y. flacida having 3 new shoots and the Y. filamentosa having 5 new shoots.

It may be time to dig up the desert and start over, potting up the survivors. This way I may be able to get more drainage as well as kill off the weeds that are in the soil that blew in on top of the landscape fabric.

With the city choosing not to do anything about their weeds, controlling our municipal flower (Dandelion) is becoming a full time job.

Allen

You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

nlafrance3
Sprout

Post by nlafrance3 » Sat May 17, 2008 4:23 pm

Allen:

A yucca color gaurd filamentosa I planted in a clients yard came through 100% with flying colors and flowered last year. Its big though so maybe thats the key. Calplants are offering huge trunked yuccas for a great price on their ebay sttore. We both need to get some of those. 60 bucks for a 3 foot thompsoniana.