good luck with masa basjoo

Banana Plants, etc

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

tomj
Seed

good luck with masa basjoo

Post by tomj » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:34 pm

I have a few clumps of musa basjo growing in the yard.The 1st plant was bought off ebay 6 years ago.
I planted that,and it grew to around 3 feet with a couple pups coming up near it.2nd year it doubled in size.6 feet tall and many pups some 3 feet tall.3rd year I choped one of the main trunks and moved it to the front of the house.That grew to around 8 feet tall The original plant in the back yard grew to 15 foot tall,with many,many pups some 8 foot tall.This past summer the main plant grew to 18 feet tall. It had 8 foot leaves and even bore fruit.The one out front was 12 foot tall with many pups.This past year I also tried a red musa. As it grows the leaves are striped with red.That grew to 8 foot tall 1st year.They really like my yard.lCan any one tell me what do with seeds how to grow? If I get more fruit and seeds and can get them to grow I would be willing to send some your way.Tom

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:57 pm

I can't help with advice on how to germinate the seeds. I have been trying to germinate Musa Velutina seeds for 14 months without success.

Perhaps you can help me. How big of an area in the back yard do the Musa Basjoo stems take up? From your picture, I am guessing that the distance from the stem of the small pup on the left to the farthest stem on the right is about 5'. It also looks like the distance from the front stem to the fence is about 3'.

I am planting out a Musa Basjoo here in Zone 3 and will have to insulate and heat the plant for it to survive. I will be insulating below the ground to keep the frost from the roots and want to build a stem shelter that will be large enough to last about 5 years.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

tomj
Seed

Post by tomj » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:47 pm

Hi Allen,That is a very good guess looking at my picture. I would say 3 by 5 feet is right.
Here in my zone7a yard that is increasing every year. Good luck in your yard. Tom

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:17 pm

Thanks Tom. It's nice to have another member from the Southeast.

Welcome aboard.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps