Question about Cycas panzhihuaensis

For cycad enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Kansas

Question about Cycas panzhihuaensis

Post by Kansas » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:35 pm

Hopefully Mr. Chumley can chime in here somewhere...
I have been wanting a couple of these to try here in Kansas with some winterizing help of cedar mulch and and a small enclosure. I have heard of it's hardiness and would love to find out about it.
However, after talking to and reading other message boards, I am finding that every person in the South (Florida, Alabama, Mississippi) have not good luck with them and speak negative of them. However folks in the North (Washington D.C., Virginia, Maryland) have all spoke of wonders & amazement about them.
Is it possible that these actually NEED a cooler climate to thrive. I know that is the way with Trachycarpus Palms, so I wonder if the same is with the Panzhihuaensis???

chumleycycads.com
Sprout

Cycas Panzhihuaensis

Post by chumleycycads.com » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:27 pm

I have a few plants of C Panzhihuaensis that were germinated in the ground in the year 2000. I potted them and and fertilized with a timed release quality fertilizer in 2003 and observed no increase in growth sinse then. Of course they have been through 4 hurricanes and suffered repeated attacks by armadillos. They grew adjacent to several hundred Dioon Merolae, Macrozamia Communis, and Dioon Spinulosum, all of which grew exceptionally well, but the Panzhihuansis stayed a dwarf size even until now in 2007. So, I have been disappointed in the plant to say the least. However, if I had a full grown plant, I think it would be no problem, because many people here in Florida have large Panzhihuanensis. I received a pollen cone this Spring from a friend and used it to hybridize two huge C. Taitungensis . I was sucessful and should have approx. 400/500 seed to collect around December of Taitungensis X Panzhihuansis to make available to my customers. Robert Chumley
I live on 12 acres in Central Florida about half way between Tampa and Walt Disney World.I have seed colonies of over 60 varieties of cycads. I have over one half acre of variegated cycads and I make many hybrids as well.

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:03 am

". I received a pollen cone this Spring from a friend and used it to hybridize two huge C. Taitungensis . I was sucessful and should have approx. 400/500 seed to collect around December of Taitungensis X Panzhihuansis to make available to my customers."

DON'T FORGET YOUR FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

I think I will try some later from you when the wife tells me it's OK. Thanks.

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:11 pm

Would love a pic of the plants...and the armadillos ! (wow)
Barb