"Internet Explorer" (automatic) Update

Discuss all your non palm related stuff here.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

"Internet Explorer" (automatic) Update

Post by lucky1 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:35 am

H E L P ! What's up with the recent changes to Internet Explorer?

I'm a computer dummy, BUT things that used to work easily for me...without thinking...now don't work.

For example, when you want to copy a URL to paste it into an email or into a forum, I always placed the cursor on the URL name, clicked it to highlight, clicked Edit, selected COPY, then in the email or on the forum right-clicked PASTE, and Bob's your uncle.

Now, for some reason, when I place my cursor on the URL it highlights but when I select EDIT,
COPY is not allowed to be selected (it's really faint).

Is it me or what's going on?
GD software companies! :evil:

Thanks for letting me rant.
I wish I hadn't let it update...I liked the old version better. :|
Barb

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:42 am

Sorry. I can't help with Internet Explorer. I changed my browser to Mozilla Firefox over a year ago.

Good luck.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

turtile
Seedling

Post by turtile » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:06 pm

Try using control + c after its highlighted and use control + v to paste.

I would use Opera or Mozilla Firefox instead.

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:15 pm

thanks for the tips turtile,
it just pi**es me off that it's changed.

Will try it.
Barb

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:19 pm

lol... Try using Vista, it's full of bugs... I agree use Mozilla or Opera...

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:23 pm

I've heard even the computer programmers (...nerdies) won't use Vista.
They say it's horrible. As though ONLY idiots worked on it. :shock:
Barb

turtile
Seedling

Post by turtile » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:39 pm

lucky1 wrote:I've heard even the computer programmers (...nerdies) won't use Vista.
They say it's horrible. As though ONLY idiots worked on it. :shock:
Barb
I'm getting Vista for 64bit support in a few months (Waiting for the AMD Phenom 9700 to come out so I can build a new system) so I can use 4GB of memory and upgrade to 8GB in the future. I think the security stuff is really annoying.

Its a good OS but they did not implement it right. It can't do much that XP can't. So most people don't see any need for it.

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:55 pm

You may be correct that the security stuff is what's screwing things up...
but wouldn't the Microsoft techies have KNOWN that during design?

Good luck with your system.
Barb

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:55 pm

Humm ... Barb I've had no updates or changes that won't allow me to copy and paste as normal using Windows XP and IE7.
Cheers, Barrie.

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:56 pm

When my motherboard died last summer, the techies suggested that I rebuild the computor to a more recent chip, hard drive and board. When they were done, I had a 1 year old computor with enough memory and speed to last as long as I need the computor for slightly less than the cost of a new machine and the cost of recovering my information. I was also able to keep windows XP and didn't have to upgrade several minor programs.

Within the next year or so, we will semi retire this machine and purchase an Apple. With any luck, I will never have to use Vista.

Allen

turtile
Seedling

Post by turtile » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:47 pm

Alchris wrote: Within the next year or so, we will semi retire this machine and purchase an Apple. With any luck, I will never have to use Vista.

Allen
I wouldn't get an Apple unless you like to give your money away. Macs are overpriced and use a couple proprietary parts. If your motherboard dies in an Apple, you'll need to buy a proprietary board through Apple after their 1 year warranty. So they can continue to rip you off.

If you don't like Vista, get Linux. Linux is free and pay versions usually give you support.
lucky1 wrote:You may be correct that the security stuff is what's screwing things up...
but wouldn't the Microsoft techies have KNOWN that during design?
They probably designed it for the clueless users which has obviously backfired.

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:40 pm

Both of my sons have had Apples for quite a few years. The cost is still in the same range as the upper end PCs and their repair experience has been nil. During the same period I have had a virus and had 2 PCs require replacement or repair before I needed a more modern machine. After taking into consideration the cost of repair, service etc. on the PCs, buying Apples would have been only marginally more expensive.

Allen

turtile
Seedling

Post by turtile » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:56 pm

Alchris wrote:Both of my sons have had Apples for quite a few years. The cost is still in the same range as the upper end PCs and their repair experience has been nil. During the same period I have had a virus and had 2 PCs require replacement or repair before I needed a more modern machine. After taking into consideration the cost of repair, service etc. on the PCs, buying Apples would have been only marginally more expensive.

Allen
Do you have any custom builders in your area? I can't blame you if you can only buy the big names such as Dell, HP, EMachines, Acer... They all make their systems as cheap as possible.

I've built over dozen computers and I've only had a Hard drive failure which the manufacturer replaces for 3-5 years after the manufacture date.

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:37 pm

Eureka!! today it works! And I haven't done a bloody thing differently than always.
Or I'm losing my mind (short trip...) :lol:
Thanks everybody.
Barb

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:14 am

We get an extensive variety of makes and models of computor here. We also have custom builders in the Edmonton area as well. The problem with the custom builders is the price is generally outrageous and the wait time is up to 6 months. As a result most of their work is for larger commercial operations. The company that rebuilt my computor used upper quality slightly out of date parts. It was back running in less than 2 weeks although it took longer to get the files from my hard drive.

With the boom here and in our service area- Fort MacMurray, Grande Prairie, Peace River it has been impossible to attract enough highly skilled workers due to our location. We have shortages in every profession except teaching as well as most trades and all semi-skilled jobs. The high price of oil has offset the increase in the Canadian dollar and the lower demand for natural gas. But things are slowing down a little.

Allen