John your requested images

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Islander
Sprout

John your requested images

Post by Islander » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:14 pm

Hello

Here are some of the images you requested.

On this image is the row of wagnerianus palms planted this past Sept. This will turn into a linear mass of wagnerianus fronds.

Islander
Sprout

Green princeps on Vancouver Island

Post by Islander » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:23 pm

I'm not the only one growing the glossy "green princeps". I call it the false princeps. It's like having a fortunei with martianus features. I consider it care free hardy after last winter. It's stuffed between a Jub and a wag with bowl-shaped leaves.

There should be more palms at English Bay.

BILL MA
Large Palm

Post by BILL MA » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:07 am

Nice pictures Islander! Looks like in a few years you'll have a nice waggie wall there. I wish I had leaves on my deciduous trees on March 10th, NICE!

Bill

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Palms in Your yard?

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:55 am

Islander can you share pics of your palms in the whole garden? I would like to see how that 20 ft tall trachy is doing that you rescued from the chainsaw last year in Victoria. Your place must be looking like a jungle by now.

John
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

Islander
Sprout

The moved Trachy

Post by Islander » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:37 pm

Hello John

The moved Trachy on a windy day. You can see that it is establishing roots since the crown is compact. It can take a year to find out the result of a move. Larry's rescued palm put out fewer leaves but the root ball was much smaller. I took so much root on mine that I would not have been surprised to see unphased. It goes to show how hardy fortunei can be. The two Trachys I'm talking about had to endure that surprising cold spell last winter. Some moved Trachys sit for a year or two before putting out new fronds. So I at least got it going. Visiting Palm Society members expect it to put out a full crown next summer. They are happy about the save. There is no cover for that Trachy. Full sun & full wind. Zero protection from the elements.

I did fail to convince a Victoria business owner to save a big Trachy. One of Victoria's oldest Trachys. The palm is expected to be destroyed in the near future.

It's not a jungle yet. The garden has not changed much from last year. But It should change after the palm planting of 2010. That's when I'll plant yucca gloriosa superba and a tall rostrata. And of course many small Trachys because the ground work is expectec to be completed in March 2010.

Ok, so the image will not load. I guess that I can e-mail you and you can load it.

Cheers

ronbruce
Seedling

Post by ronbruce » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:16 am

That's sad to hear about the old Trachy. Too bad they can't save it somehow. :?

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

?

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:09 pm

Islander could you pm me so I could give you my email to post picks of the palm jungle you have in Victoria? Why did the owner not want to save the the Trachy? Where was or is the business?

John
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a