Kansas' Rattlers

Discuss all your non palm related stuff here.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Kansas

Kansas' Rattlers

Post by Kansas » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:50 pm

Sorry for the BAD blurry pics, but these were taken about 6-7 years ago with a bad camara and an idiot that couldn't take pics :oops:

Timber Rattler. This particular species of Timber is the "CaneBrake". Found west of Topeka in Waubaunsee County. 2' long

Massassaugua. I tiny rattler that has a HORRIBLE temper. The normal rattler can strike at 3/4ths its body length. This species however lunges and can strike PAST it's length. Found this one in Osage County, south of Topeka. 10" long

Western Diamondback. Found this snake on the Oklahoma/Texas border on the Red River. 3' long

Prarie Rattlesnake. This is mostly what I hunt for. These are PLENTYFUL out on the Kansas/Colorado border where I found this one. 2 1/2' long

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:33 pm

What do you do with these beauties after you "hunt" them? Very good pics and an interesting hobby.

Cheers, Barrie.

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:52 pm

I sell the snakes to venom extractors.
Actually, a guy that invented a field antivenom, used the snakes he bought from me to invent the antivenom. I caught about 13-14 Western Diamondbacks and sold them to him (if a person kills them, I don't sell them to him/her) and he called me about a year later and told me the good news. They actually used it in the field on a guy that got bit and it worked GREAT!

Here it is!!!

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:04 pm

Well thats awesome! :D Nice to know you had a hand in this anti-venom process.

Cheers, Barrie.

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:16 am

Wes

Beautiful rattlers. We have black and yellow eastern diamondbacks here. IMO, the yellows are the prettiest. When they were excavating for a fedex distributuion center up the road from me they dug into a rattler hibernation pit. The foreman estimated that there was about 500 rattlers in it!!! His equipment operator quit on the spot..LOL. Needless to say the locals were a bit uneasy for a few months, rattlers were showing up everywhere. Most were caught and relocated.

Here are a few pics of my Brazilian Rainbow boa. The pic in Barrie's rat thread is not mine. Mine is a darker phased male. Sorry about the big pics.

Last summer pic.

Today, getting ready to shed.
Not the pot I was expecting........

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:01 pm

NICE NICE NICE!!!!!!!