Post-Winter Garden Reports...

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

PlanesandPalmsGuy
Sprout

Post-Winter Garden Reports...

Post by PlanesandPalmsGuy » Sun May 01, 2005 2:03 pm

Now that winter is long gone, I can tell you that I was 100% successful this winter. With a very, very rare z6b low of -2F back in December, my new Sabal minor and Rhapidophyllum hystrix's were put to the test from the get-go! Well I can tell you doubters of S. minor and R. hystrix hardiness, there's NO "smoke and mirrors!"

These palms are literally "bullet-proof." From what I have observed, these two palms are hardier than Lagerstroemia indica (Crape Myrtle). If you can grow a L. indica in your yard, you can definitely grow these two palms! BTW, I used *zero* protection. They were exposed to the elements. However, they were planted on the south side of my house, thus they were exposed to only z7a minimums this year (which is normal for me).

S. minor suffered minimal 10% leaf-burn; R. hystrix with +/- 5% leaf damage. One of my R. hystrix's (the most mature specimen) didn't suffer any damage and actually put on new growth during January and February! In some cases, S. minor can actually be hardier than R. hystrix because it's growth bud is deeper under ground, which is advantageous if you live in a climate such as mine!

I'm not telling you to insinuate by my report, that you can grow these palms in your zone 6 yard, but I can tell you it's definitely worth a shot! I doubt you would be disappointed! With all of that said, I purchased a Trachycarpus fortunei (5-gal.) back in November, where it spent the winter indoors. I finally planted my new Trachy on April, 16 in a nice rock bed next to my barberry bush. It will require protection during nights when temperatures drop below 10F, but I have reason to believe I can even grow this Chusan palm in my So. Illinois climate!

I recently purchased cold-hardy Nerium Oleanders (white, yellow, and pink), and plan to give this z8a evergreen a try! However, it's highly toxic, so I'm still deciding on where to put this beautiful blooming shrub! I planted Cannas, Elephant Ears, and a Ficus elastica (rubber tree) yesterday. The rubber tree is a zone 10a plant that I purchased from Lowes. I'm going to use it as an annual. Also, I purchased a new 4' 'Hamlin' Orange tree to keep on my patio.

My Dwarf Meyer Lemon is beginning to fruit and everything has "sprung" to life. Now I must plant some Musa sometime within the next couple of weeks and my yard should be good-to-go! That's all I can report for now. :D

Regards, Zach

(Insert witty remark here)

Wes North Van

post winter reports

Post by Wes North Van » Thu May 05, 2005 7:17 pm

It looks like my only loss will be a pheonix canariensis. I did not protect it and it looks bad. The centre spear pulled out a month ago. I only went down to 20F so it proves they are not hardy here in a zone 8b climate.
My chamedorea microspadix and chamaerops humils, sabal palmetto and my various trachycarpus species, meyer lemon, musella lasiocarpa, various hedychiums, cannas, cordyline australis, varoius eucs, pineapple guavas and musa basjoo and yucca filamentosa and recurvifolia are all fine.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

Ianmc
Sprout

Winter Successes etc!

Post by Ianmc » Fri May 06, 2005 2:30 pm

Re your Oleanders.I have two neither of which flower very well in morning and afternoon sunshine only.
In contrast plants down the road thrive in full sunshine.
Great to hear about your overwintering experiences.
Cheers:Ian Mc