Musa basjoo(Japanese Hardy Banana)

Banana Plants, etc

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

PlanesandPalmsGuy
Sprout

Musa basjoo(Japanese Hardy Banana)

Post by PlanesandPalmsGuy » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:29 pm

The JapaneseHrdy Banana, is cold hardy to an amazing -20F. It acts as a perennial in zones 6-8, dying to the ground in winter and returning in the spring. Although its fruit is inedible, this amazing specimen reaches heights between 13-15 feet from the last frost until the first frost! It has plush lime green fronds up to 5 feet in length when plant is at full height. The leaves rip in the wind, which I enjoy that ripped look myself, but most people try to keep Musa basjoo out of the wind to prevent that. Musa basjoo produces offsets, so transplanting is simple. Prefers full sun with heat and humidity. :wink:

(Insert witty remark here)

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:29 pm

I have always wanted to grow Musa basjoo in my zone 6. If i can get my hands on some offsets or seeds i will give it a try in the springtime. :)

Regards,
Jay

PlanesandPalmsGuy
Sprout

Post by PlanesandPalmsGuy » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:12 pm

I purchased mine from www.springhillnursery.com this past spring. I believe they sell Musa basjoo every year, so you may want to purchase a seedling from them next year. :D

PlanesandPalmsGuy
Sprout

Post by PlanesandPalmsGuy » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:12 pm

If I may ask admin.? Where do you live?

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:55 pm

I live in Kelowna BC Canada.

Regards,
Jay

PlanesandPalmsGuy
Sprout

Post by PlanesandPalmsGuy » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:06 pm

Wow...thats ironic because Canada is not a place you think of when you here the word "palm tree." Thats really neat that you grow hardy tropicals in Canada. Although I have heard that Vancouver is actually very mild during the winter. Its good that hardy palm tree growing has spread north of the border! :D

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:49 pm

Yah it's kind of a challenge but i love it! None of my palms are planted in the ground yet but as soon as they get bigger i'm going to give it a try. With some winter protection.

Our climate is allot drier than the South West coast of Canada with lower overnight temps.

I've seen a few palms in the ground where i live but not many. Vancouver Island and the lower mainland actually have tons of cold hardy (unprotected in winter) palms growing.

If you want to see some pics here is a link to another forum with palms around the Vancouver area:

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forum ... .php?f=112

Regards,
Jay

PlanesandPalmsGuy
Sprout

Post by PlanesandPalmsGuy » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:06 pm

Thanks for the link! Its amazing! :D

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:30 pm

Your welcome :D

PlanesandPalmsGuy
Sprout

Post by PlanesandPalmsGuy » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:59 pm

Wow...I knew they were growing Trachy's in Vancouver, but I had no idea they were being grown on that scale with large success. Alot of people will be amazed if they ever make the trip up to Vancouver and see trunked palm trees growing in yards and businesses, as well as grown next to highways! I wish I could grow palms on that scale in my area. The only problem with the climate of the Northwest and the B.C. area, is the fact that, that area doesn't experience hot humid summers. Needle Palms and Dwarf Palmetto, would of course grow there, but much slower and smaller than here in the southern midwest and eastern U.S. Trachy's are still very attractive palms and must be a pleasure to grow in that area...Although, I have never tried any Trachy's in my area, I may have success? I believe the Vancouver area is located in a zone 7b/8a climate, slightly warmer than my area. Of course that doesn't determine the survival of a palm, as much as the duration of cold weather does...I may try it...lol! :D Another thing weird about the B.C. area, is the fact that Calgary is within a few hundred miles of Vancouver, but is much much colder! I believe Calgary is in Alberta? I don't know my Canadian geography very well, I know Edmonton is in Alberta fairly close to Calgary.

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:13 pm

I was actually surprised when i visited Victoria and Vancouver years ago and noticed palm after palm growing in the ground. Back then i wasn't into palms and never thought they would grow out here.

On the West coast the night time temp in winter may dip below zero for a day or two then go back to their mild temps. I live about a three and a half hour drive east from Vancouver but we get cold snaps that will last for a few days with colder temps :cry:

Yep, once you cross over the Rockies it's (brrrrr) cold. Calgary is roughly about 1000 km from Vancouver. Edmonton is close to Calgary. About a two hour drive. I used to live there and it was way too cold for me. I remember it being -40 degrees Celsius for most of the winter.

You should give Trachy's a try :D I know most of the ones in The Vancouver area are grow from the seeds of mature palms in that area so they are pretty cold hardy. I just received a bunch of Trachy seedlings from The Vancouver Island area grown from the mature palm seeds found on the Island. So i hope they will do well in my climate :D

Banana

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:16 pm

Can you eat the leaves to the musa banana plant? :)

Ty
Seed

Musa Basjoo

Post by Ty » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:59 am

You guys were looking for the musa basjoo. I sell them and right now I want to clear out my 1 gallon size plants so I dont have to transplant any more of them. They are about 3 foot tall. There is a problem shipping them to canada because I have to have them inspected by the usda and it costs $20. That makes it tough, but one inspection fee covers as many as someone wants. Planes and palm guy, If you have not tried growing them there I would be willing to give you one or two and you can try it and simply let me know how it does there. Maybe send me a picture next year when they are big! Let me know, I am always interested in spreading hardy tropicals to as many people as I can! I would also love to show pictures on my website of them growing in a low zone. I am in Portland, ORegon and the climate is very mild here. I have sabal minor, butia capitata, washingtonia filifera & robusta, t. fortunei, phoenix canariensis and quite a few other palms in my yard growing well. I enjoy the bananas for the simple reason that they provide a very quick tropical look! Ty