WANTED:

This section is for enthusiasts looking for hard to find cold hardy palms, yuccas, plants etc.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

therahort
Seed

WANTED:

Post by therahort » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:56 am

I would like a source for a dwarf pygmy date palm or seeds for same. Also, need information on growing and propagating, as I have never tried to grow any palm, and know absolutely nothing about growing any palm or planting, and propagating any palm from seed. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tropicahortthera

james brascher
Seed

Post by james brascher » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:47 pm

Rare-palm should be able to fix you up for seeds if no one responds. Rare palm has a website, just type the name into your search engine.

Germination is pretty easy. Most palms can be be germinated in a plastic bags, I have had success with other Phoenix species with this method.

Get one large zip lock bag with some damp soil, place seeds in there. Keep in a warm location, like on the top of your refrigerator. With in a month or so you should have some seedlings.

I however generally use buckets (about 1 inch deep) instead, that way they can grow up a little more. Although it take up a bit of space, limiting your quantity.

therahort
Seed

Post by therahort » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:01 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thank you for the information. Sorry it took so long for me to reply but have been busy in the garden here.

One more thing, is there a certain soil ph that palms like, or does it matter? Or I suppose the supplier of the seed has this information.

I will definitely follow this up.

THANK YOU
Tropicahortthera