Cordyline australis

Citrus, Ferns, Hostas, Discuss other plants that don't fit in any other category.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Barrie

Cordyline australis

Post by Barrie » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:28 pm

Cordyline australis is an indicator of how winter temps have been around our region (coastal PNW). I guess it hasn't been too bad (my low was -6.9c / 19.6f) so far, but many areas on the BC mainland seem to have been hit hard. Many Cordyline are cold damaged and have fallen from that damage. Mine on Vancouver Island are fine, you?

Cheers, Barrie.

PALMETTOMAN
Seedling

Cordyline trees

Post by PALMETTOMAN » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:22 pm

Looks good Barrie,

Glad to hear your Cordyline pulled through the cold blast....

My two-8 footers are garaged for now and seem fine after bottoming out at -8C for 2 straight nights..

I know in BC they grow quite easily...

Any tips?

Palmettoman Z6-Ajax, On

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:10 pm

Hey PALMETTOMAN
They do and they don't ... let me explain. They really only flourish in the mildest regions and you'll know you are in a mild area when you begin to notice lots of them. Even then they can get knocked down every 8 to 10 years or so from cold weather. These milder areas are generally close to the ocean and never get hot in summer, which seems to suit Cordyline australis. Minus 8 celcius is pretty close in most cases to their limit of hardiness and damage takes months to manifest itself, often looking good and solid until spring. Some folks that want to insure they make it through to next year, will gather the leaves up & wrap the crown in burlap until weather improves. This becomes increasingly difficult when they flower and begin forming multiple branches and get taller.

Cheers, Barrie.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:16 pm

Show off... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PALMETTOMAN
Seedling

Cordyline

Post by PALMETTOMAN » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:36 pm

Barrie,

Thanks for the cordyline tips...

I'm at about 5C during the day now...nites around -3C...

I'll keep my heater on....

The damage shows in the spring eh?...How does that damage show?

Palmettoman Z6-Ajax, On