Looking for Trachycarpus seed.

This section is for enthusiasts looking for hard to find cold hardy palms, yuccas, plants etc.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Laaz

Looking for Trachycarpus seed.

Post by Laaz » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:35 pm

Hey all. New here. I'm looking for some Trachycarpus seed if anyone has any. Here's what I'm looking for :

Trachycarpus princeps
Trachycarpus martianus
Trachycarpus oreophilus

I have to trade:
Sabal Palmetto seed.
Sabal Minor Seed
Sabal Minor Seedlings
Sabal Minor Mature plants
Butia capita (Pindo Palm) Seedlings & small plants
King Sago seeds
Poncirus Trifoliata (Flying Dragon) Seed
Carolina Live Oak seedlings
Various Yucca's
Prickley Pear Cactus pads (root very easy)

Here's a sample of the S. Minors I have available.

Last edited by Laaz on Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:03 pm

Hi Laaz, Welcome to the forum. :) Sorry don't have any Trachycarpus seeds at the moment. That's a nice Minor. About how old is the one pictured?

Regards,
Jay

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:14 pm

Hi jay. As you see I left the seed stalks attached, so they are probably at least 8-10 years old maybe more. I have a bunch that grow wild out behind my house. Sabals take many years before they are mature enough to produce seed.

Barrie

Welcome Laaz

Post by Barrie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:30 pm

Welcome Laaz,
I usually see you post on the Citrus forum. Good to have you here. For those that don't know, Laaz is the guru of hardy (and other) citrus and has grown many citrus varieties and helped countless poor saps such as myself. What types of palms to you have around your garden?

P.S. a regular source for the Trachy species you listed can be seen at www.rarepalmseeds.com
They're quite rare outside of native habitat.

Cheers, Barrie.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:38 pm

Hey Barrie. I have many Sabal Minors, Sabal Palmettos, Trachy's, Queen Palms, CIDP's, Silver Dates, Cretan Dates, Euro fan palms, Butia's, Calif. Fan palms, Mex Fan palms... and about 40 citrus trees in the ground... :wink: As you know.

The reason I haven't gotten the Trachy's from those online places is because they don't always sell what they claim to have. I don't want to spend years growing something that ends up being a fortunei... I would rather find someone with a proven variety.
Last edited by Laaz on Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macario
Seedling

seeds

Post by macario » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:46 pm

Well All I have Is one princeps seedling I would part with its on its 4th split leaf. I would be interested in buying a few of those large sabal minors if if your interested email me at imcuban2@hotmail.com.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:54 pm

macario these are heading your way. These are the S. Minors we talked about last night. Check your email. I'll get them out on Saturday. I'll also throw in a bunch of Butia's.

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:19 pm

Laaz, Welcome to the forum. For my money, wait, nobody else pays for membership here???????, this is the best palm forum around.
I am SOOOOOO glad we have a citrus guy here. I have only got three citrus trees growing but will ALWAYS need your assistance. The one thing I have found is that last year, I had my Valencia Orange inside cause I thought like everybody else, it needs warmth. Well what I have found out is that in Zone 5, we CAN grow citrus, but remarkably, you must do it in your garage where it gets 50's to 40's for lows. Seems to me, it's the cold but humid that these trees need in order to save up energy for flowers. I have left mine in the garage this year and lost maybe 9-10 leaves and have 5-7 flower blooms where last year inside I lost all but maybe 5-6 leaves and had 4 flowers that never made it past opening up stage.

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:30 pm

Welcome Laaz. Good luck on your search for the Trachy seeds and plants. You are right, there is alot of suspect stuff out there and it takes years before you know what you got. I would think in your part of the country you could come across these palms easier. From what I understand, there are alot of smaller nurseries that carry the cold hardy palms etc.
Kent in Kansas
where it's cold in winter (always)
and hot in summer (usually)
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:34 pm

Hi Kansas. Check out my forum & do a search on WLD (Winter leaf drop) Valencia orange is a late winter / early spring ripening orange used mainly for juice. Citrus will do fine in your area as long as you keep them from freezing. You can keep them outside whenever the temps stay above freezing. Adding bottom heat will really help out in the winter months. Here we only get 3-5 nights a year when we go below freezing, so I don't worry about anything but the tender citrus like Limes, Lemons and Citrons.

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:42 pm

So your advice if my temps do not go below 32 are to keep it outside? I can do that too, just wanted to get an experts advice.
I also have a grapefruit and a lemon (not sure what kind) but neither seem to do as well in the garage. Still do alright, just not as good as the Valencia Orange.
What advice can you give on them?

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:52 pm

With blooms or small fruit on the tree I would not leave them out anywhere below 40. Frost will kill the blooms & small fruit quickly as well as any new growth. Citrus roots do not function below 55. This should keep the trees dormant. You can keep the trees in the cool garage for long periods of time, just try to keep the root zone below 55 and don't over water.

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:54 pm

Sounds good. I'll keep in the garage. I do only water once every three weeks or so and just a quick load that I let run thru and leak and thats it. So it sounds like I am doing the right thing and from the results, I'de say it is fine.
Thanks buddy.