Ugghh.... unboxing has begun...

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

wheelman1976
Seedling

Post by wheelman1976 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:43 pm

Just an update on my palms.

My two oldest ones are putting up frond after frond and growing a tone this year.

The three newest (the big ones I got last spring 2013) I think they are shocked still from this past winter (one of the coldest and longest I've ever known). They're putting up fronds but not near as fast as the other two. I'm ok with it because that means I don't have to modify my boxes much. The biggest of those three which lost all of it's fronds to freezing temps is recovering and I will be able to get away with a much smaller box this year thank goodness. I'll have to snap some pics to update soon.

Side note on my other tropical plants.... my cannas are seriously stunted... none are taller than 2.5 feet. These are the same rhizomes that were 6-8 feet a couple years ago... I'm confused with them. And all my dwarf brazilian bananas that i overwintered in pots inside are in ground and growing, but don't seem to be putting any height on which sucks. The summer here has been cooler than normal with minimal humidity which is what I'm wondering is doing it, coupled with not really having a spring season to warm the earth.