My 'Sun Box' Design...

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

PlanesandPalmsGuy
Sprout

My 'Sun Box' Design...

Post by PlanesandPalmsGuy » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:30 pm

I have tried many different methods in order to protect my palms from the coldest winter nights. I have finally came up with one of the best methods I have ever tried. What I'm going to build uses PVC pipe and connectors, 1/8" plastic and stakes. Why hadn't I thought of it before. After reading someone's hoop house idea, I woke up the next morning with an even better solution. I'm going to a local "Do-it" center tomorrow. I have three young Needle Palms and two Sabal minor. Since its their first winter, I want to provide a hefty amount of protection, in order to minimize foliar damage caused by winter sun burn and frost, ice, snow, and cold winds. I'm going to build 5 Sun Boxes for each of my palms. These Sun Boxes are going to cost around $50, which isn't bad at all. The Sun Boxes will be pieced together using a 3/4" PVC pipe with connectors. I'm going to use 90deg. connectors for the base of the boxes and use 45deg. connectors for the top, so they will look sort of like a trapezoid. I'm angling the top of the boxes, so water and snow won't pool up on top of the plastic, causing it to collapse. Water can just run off. The plastic on top will be pulled drum tight with plastic around the periphery of the boxes. I'm going to stake the boxes into the ground, so wind won't blow them away. This is a simple method because the boxes can be removed and placed in my garage during warm spells. Its cheap, effecient, and the boxes should last a year or two. The boxes will be sealed to the ground, trapping all of the suns heat energy during the day like a green house. Water containers could even be added to add a little humidity inside of the boxes. Christmas lights can be added inside the boxes on the coldest nights. What are everyones thoughts on this idea?
Regards, planesandpalmsguy :D

(Insert witty remark here)

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:39 pm

That sounds like an awesome idea. :D Keep us posted on how it goes. I was thinking of doing something similar next year when i get some Yucca Elatas and maybe a T. fortunei in the ground.

Regards,
Jay

Wes North Van

Jay

Post by Wes North Van » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:39 pm

What climate zone are you in? Is there any trachies growing in Kelowna?
I sometimes work out of our Kelowna branch and would like to see some palms up there.

Cheers
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:51 pm

I'm in zone 6a. I have only seen one trachy in the ground here and i'm not sure if it is still around. I see lots of trunking yuccas and cacti around. There's one place on smithson rd. that has some really nice specimens growing in the ground such as musa basjoo, cacti, trunking yuccas. There were some really nice palms there too but they have been moved for the winter. I plan on planting some trachys in the ground next spring. :D I'll have to figure out some super protection for them for the winter. I guess i will have to experiment.

Regards,
Jay