Well I did it!!!!!!!!

Banana Plants, etc

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Kansas

Well I did it!!!!!!!!

Post by Kansas » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:55 pm

After asking every damn Garden store, Nursery, and Greenhouse in TOpeka, Manhattan and Junction City for a Musa Basjoo and asking them to oreder one for me, and having them tell me that the Hurricanes devastated the crop and they couldn't order me any, I found two and bought two.

I had to travel East and South for work today. On the way, out in the middle of nowhere, and I mean NOWHERE, there was place that had a HUGE Nursery. I told my work buddy that I wanted to stop by and ask if they could order me one. As I enrtered, I could tell I was n no ordinary Nursery. IT WAS HUGE!!!! (hidden from the Hiway).
I asked about the Musa Basjoo adn she told me yes they had a bunch. As she walked back I asked about palms and she told me she had a bunch of those also.
I got 2 Musa Basjoo (3') for $8.00 @ and a 3' Washy Robusta for $16.00.
I WILL BE GOING BACK!!!
Now, My forecast calls for rain for the next three days with night temps in the mid to low 40's. When can I pot plant all three?????

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Nursery name?

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:34 pm

Kansas could you give me the name of that nursery I would like to see if they have a website, looking for some needle palms. I would plant those basjoo and Washingtonias soon to give them a great headstart.
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Nursery name?

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:34 pm

Kansas could you give me the name of that nursery I would like to see if they have a website, looking for some needle palms. I would plant those basjoo and Washingtonias soon to give them a great headstart.
Okie LOL :D
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:03 pm

The name of the place is "Arnold's Greenhouse" and it is in Leroy, Kansas.
When I put in Yahoo, "Arnold's Greenhouse Leroy Kansas, it pops right up.
HOWEVER, I looked and it states they do not do mail orders, only store visit. Hystrix was not listed on there on line catalog, but I bet they would order you a couple if you came up to get them.

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:04 pm

http://www.arnoldsgreenhouse.com/

Here you go, try this.

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:10 pm

But you say to pot plant tomorrow? I just checked and temps actually will be low 50's for low and then next week low 40's for lows. HOWEVER, we are expected to get rain for three days straight. I am worried about spear pull with that much rain in the trunks.

ryan
Seedling

Post by ryan » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:40 pm

WOW! Thats a lot of greenhouses to shop in. It would be nice to have a place like that here in Toronto. GREAT FIND!

Wes North Van

musa basjoo

Post by Wes North Van » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:06 pm

Kansas,
You should be OK to plant the musa. They don't mind the rain. They need lots of water.
As far as the robusta if you are passed the stage of frost then I would plant it. If not wait till the threat of frost is over then plant.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:03 am

Great, I will then. So the Musa do not tyically get spear rot from water in the "trunk"?
I fear spear rot because as a new palm grower, I put my PDP & a 2' Fortunei UNDER a humifier this winter and not any fans blowing and they both have spear pull.
Next winter its going aways away from the palms AND with a fan.
Right now, I have 2 - 6" Fortunei, Hystrix, Minor, 3 - Sago , a Yucca Rostrada, Yucca Faxonia all pot planted and we are getting rain for the next 4 days. I am WORRIED snotlless about rot.

Wes North Van

Kansas

Post by Wes North Van » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:42 am

I live at the edge of a rain forest and I do not worry about rain on musa basjoo at all. It is growing fine right now.
What temps did you see last winter. It must of been cold for a trachy to have it's spear pull.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:42 am

The Trachy with spear pull got rot in the trunk because I misted it too much and the water trickled down on the trunk and didn't have air moving around :oops:

I have the Musa and Washy by the West window still today. mid 50's today and low 50's tonight. I want to wait until the boss, AKA my wife, yells at me to get them out of her kitchen :lol: