Evergreen oaks (Quercus)

Banana Plants, etc

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

desertdave
Sprout

Evergreen oaks (Quercus)

Post by desertdave » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:00 pm

If anyone knows, which of the following evergreen oaks would probably be hardiest in zone 6b-7a? I am considering purchasing one or more of the following: California's canyon live oak (Q. chrysolepis), the Southern live oak (Q. virginiana), and/or Europe's Holm oak (Q. ilex). I had three Q. chrysolepis growing from seed, but one died of wet feet and one died from repeated dog and squirrel attacks. The other is fat and happy; it survived the winter well and is about to put out new growth. I am considering one of these for my backyard on the west or southwest side of the house; there is currently an overgrown blue spruce tree there which will be removed. It is one of the driest parts of the yard; it has a southwest exposure and surprisingly good drainage. I want to turn that part of the yard into a Mediterranean-type garden, as much as the mild-for-Idaho-but-still-coolish Treasure Valley winters will allow me. Any of these species will likely be a gamble but they all would be great additions if I gamble and win. Should I buy one or two of each and see how they fare?

Also which of Q. chrysolepis or Q. ilex would be more urban tolerant? I know Q. virginiana is legendary for its urban tolerance; it is the premier street tree of the South. Would either of the other be urban tolerant, considering a drier site in the yard?

Who wouldn't want free pie and chips?