T. Fortunei seedling

Germination Techniques

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

ryan
Seedling

T. Fortunei seedling

Post by ryan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:14 am

How long does it take or the first leaf to emerge from a T. Fortunei seedling that has just germinated? I also have most of my T. fortunei seedlings placed in water bottles that are cut in half. How long can I keep them in there until the root ball grows to large. Should I start raiding recycle bins for 2 litre (1 gallon) bottles?

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:53 am

More questions;

I've read that transplanting palms is much less stressful if you plant them pot and all. Apparently the roots eventually grow out the bottom of the pot. The same source said that the palm grows better and faster above the surface if it is rootbound.

Is this for real or just BS?

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

ryan
Seedling

Post by ryan » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:57 am

That doesn't sound right to me.

Knnn
Clumping Palm

Post by Knnn » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:42 am

This a link to the article you were referring to,

http://www.raingardens.com/psst/articles/palmpot.htm

I have never tried this but some people say this helps?

Anyone here tried this?

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:11 pm

Never tried that, but to answer the topic question...
My Trachies popped, after seeing a definate root and "trunk", I then potted in just regular old plastic cups with holes in the bottom. I put the seed to where it was still under soil and "trunk" just barely pokeing out. Within a week and a half you should see the "trunk" looking like it is splitting. That is actually a leaf starting. Give the seedling another week and a half and you should a very cute little wide leaf.
This is the stage where mine are right now. What you need to realise is that people, a lot of time repot too many times and into too big of pots. Be patient. If you repot a lot, you are disturbing it and if you repot into a pot that is too big, your roots won't get any good because the nutrients are going into soil that is nowhere near your roots.
So just be patient and be your own judge.

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:12 am

I worked in landscape construction for several years. Plants that had sensitive root sytems would have their pots sliced on the sides with a utility knife to aid in removing the pot without disturbing the roots. You can also remove just the bottom of the pot with a utility knife and plant the rootball and remaining pot in the ground. I have never seen any ill effects from either methods.

Cali

Wes North Van

trachy seedlings

Post by Wes North Van » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:08 pm

are not that root sensitive. I have transplanted mine from small pots to one gallon pots after their first year. I have not lost one, and I have hundreds, from transplanting. Some I have torn the roots and they are still fine.
They are harder to transplant when they get a good sized trunk but again I have done it with full success.
Trachies are an amazing tough palm.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a