Manitoba maple,Acer negundo

Banana Plants, etc

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

yuccaman
Seedling

Manitoba maple,Acer negundo

Post by yuccaman » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:26 pm

These trees had been my enemy for a long time even in Florida.

Weak wooded and untidy trees that grow quickly in the most inconvienient places

They start to shed their leaves almost as soon as they get budded out well. They produce an extraordinary amount of seeds with an amazing germination rate. Seedlings pop up everywhere. The wood is weak, so they tend to break frequently in storms. Boxelders are also hosts to quite a few insects also.

Do not plant near houses where the leaves and limbs can get in the gutters and the roots will fill your sewer lines.

Im sorry I wrote this about this tree. I been having problems of boxelder bugs. they grow tree weeds from a seed that kill my plants.Did you have problems with this tree?

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Ditto. If you give the seedlings a month or so they are a bugger to pull out. A well established tree is damn difficult to kill.

But I get so much satisfaction when the bugger finally rolls over and dies. :D

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

yuccaman
Seedling

Big hanging out of the ground roots

Post by yuccaman » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:06 am

I sometimes cut small seedlings with the lawn mower But they could wreck your lawn mower if they are bigger. I have so many big ones that you cant get them out anymore. I chopped 15 of them growing in places were I don't want trees.

You will have huge problem if they get a trunk wide as a 2 metre wide table. So cant do anything to them. One manitoba I have has roots that hang from the tree and go down into the ground. They are so strong that you cant pull them out, They are so hard to cut, and they have root stems about 3 cm wide.

So what are they? They come from the branches and go in the ground. They are like ropes but much stronger.

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:36 am

Donny;
I have never seen that before with maples. When I was on an acreage one of my spruces was partially knocked over by the wind. It grew new roots from the side that was pulled out of the ground. They came out of the trunk about 2 inches above where the old roots had broken off.

I use a 12" electric chainsaw to keep the surface trimmed on a couple of MMs that I can't seem to kill. But their trunk sizes are only 4" and 6". So far the 4" hasn't sent any new shoots this spring. I used a pocket knife to cut off the new shoots on the 6 " already this spring. I usually forget about the damn things when it is time to put in new plants and the shoots get thick and tall in a hurry. That is why I use the chainsaw.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

yuccaman
Seedling

They are gaint grape vines

Post by yuccaman » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:18 am

I still need to get them out of there.I have a nice chainsaw that will get the vines away from the manitoba maples or boxelders. I still got to watchout for boxelder bugs. I saw spruces done that before. If you have a lilac they will do the same thing. They kinda act like a banyan tree but much larger. Im seeing manitoba maple seedlings already and I pulled out 32 of them.