What are you planting for spring?

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

yuccaman
Seedling

What are you planting for spring?

Post by yuccaman » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:09 pm

I got alot of things im planting such as Tulip trees, zone 5 Magnolias,Golden sword yuccas, hardy Cactus,more agaves. I been doing lots of work like digging holes for them and move other plants. In the forest I dug a big oak tree. Small enouth to take out. I would like to hear what other people are planting. Im not planting any palms do to our harsh and stormy climate.

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:49 am

This year I am going to finish the rough landscaping in my back yard and start serious planting there and finish planting in the front and side yards.

I will be potting the T fortunei and putting them and the Washingtonias around the new pond. The sabal minor will also be potted and put in front of the picture window. The Jacaranda and Phoenix robeleni will be put in the front and back yard as well. All of them will come in for the winter. The Kolkwitzia will go in the side yard. I've got a Zone 5 umbrella bamboo coming that will go in the back yard to replace the arborvitae that is dieing from old age.

I am hoping to add some potted chollas to my desert. They also will come in for the winter. I have 3 yuccas coming that will also go in the desert.

I am hoping to find Wisteria this year and will be growing Kiwi vines on the west side of the garage.

I also plan to grow perennial grasses in a 15 x15' area in the side yard. I've got seed for some interesting varieties.

This fall I plan to add some species lilies to my lily field. I just started breeding lilies last year and it will be years before I see the results.

Yes, I have probably bit off more than I can chew.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

yuccaman
Seedling

Post by yuccaman » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:02 pm

Cool. I will be doing a rock garden and I will have to find red desert like rocks if I can find them in my area.I was going to buy bamboo at Hollandale nursery. Its not Harveys anymore. Its so expensive like $150. I do have the money but then I cant get my other stuff. I dont need to bring chollas in for the winter but It has to have very good drainage.I got some rhodos today and Im going to plant them south in front of the sun. So in the winter it can have some warmth.

Im growing spruces and got very nice ones sprouting. In Augest the should be be enouth to plant but it Could be to small to plant. So mabye next spring.I might do some structure building and some other protection for the cold winter.

ryan
Seedling

Post by ryan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:56 pm

I'll be puting in some masa basjoo and rhododendrons. I have over 200 rhododendrons seelings that I started 2 months ago (7 species). I have some T fortunei and R. Hytrix grminating, but they won't be ready for a few years (arggg!!!!). If anyone wants some Rhododendron seeds I have hundreds left over. I will ship them out for free within Canada (better then trowing them out).

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:35 pm

Hi Donny;

I've ordered my Bamboo from 'www.theplantfarm.ca' on Salt Spring Island, BC. The company was recommended by someone else on the forum. The 2 gallon size of Umbrella bamboo is $25. plus shipping of about $30. Shipping to you will cost more but check it out.

Hi Ryan;

I haven't tried Rhodos mainly because I didn't have any success with Azaleas a few years ago when I was in Grande Prairie. My wife loves them. Could you ship some of the seeds to me? Pretty Please with Sugar on Top. :lol:
I'll email you my address.

Allen

yuccaman
Seedling

Post by yuccaman » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:23 pm

Thanks anyway but I bought my bamboo for zone 5. I got more money to buy my yuccas like golden sword Filamentosa, and just a normal yucca filamentosa. They dont sell any Cactus, Agaves, Hardy palms, Aloes, If they can be protected here in 6a or zone 5b.They just sell filamentosas or yucca canes for the house only. I bought some rhodos and they are starting to flower :D

I checked the site out and shipping was kinda expensive but I have no more money. I bought to much.They will never sell any desert plants at hollandale nursery. .The palms we are a bit to cold for them they said. They will work with protection.Anyway I got a tulip tree.
Last edited by yuccaman on Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wes North Van

Alchris

Post by Wes North Van » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:39 pm

Alchris
Where did you get your sabal minor and how big is it?

I will be planting my yucca elata, a trachycarpus takil for sure. I hope to find a trachycarpus wagnerianus and sabal minor to add to the garden. I will also be planting two brown turkey figs.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

Wes North Van

I forgot

Post by Wes North Van » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:41 pm

I forgot I have three chamadorea microspadix palms to plant. I would like to find three c. radicalis to plant in the yard.
Keats Island BC Zone 8a

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:46 am

I germinated it from seed this year. It is still at the 1 leaf stage about 3" tall. 2 of the 6 seeds that I got from England germinated with one seed not surviving the move to a pot.

I've got 18 more seeds coming from England. I can spare some if you want them. I've learned a lot since from the forum(I joined after they germinated) and hope to have better success. The seeds are supposed to be from a Z 7 palm

I haven't been able to find a plant of the trunkless Louisianna variety (which is easier to insulate and cover). This variety is also supposed to be hardier than others. With it getting as cold as -30 here these things are very important.

Allen

PhilMusa
Seedling

Post by PhilMusa » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:45 am

Ryan,

If you are looking to have bigger palms sooner rather than later you can go to Broadway Nurseries in St Catherines. They have 3gal t.fortunei and Rhapidophyllum hystrix both with trunks ans the later with a few pups. This would cut off a few years of waiting to get to these sizes. I actually went there over the weekend. They are about an hour and half away but well worth the drive. Below is their website,

http://www.millionplants.com/products/h ... icals.html

If you do have any rhododendrons seedlings left I'm interested. I will send you an email of my address and the price I paid for the palms.

Thanks
Phil :D

Wes North Van

Philmusa

Post by Wes North Van » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:45 pm

How big were the r. hystrix and how much?
Keats Island BC Zone 8a

desertdave
Sprout

My plantings

Post by desertdave » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:37 pm

This spring I am going to redo a flower bed underneath a large pine tree, with rhododendrons and maybe an azalea or two. Also I plan on landscaping an area along my neighbors' new fence (one that I didn't want), with some Philadelphus lewisii (Idaho native mock orange) and maybe some Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus) and Cercis. If I can find a decent sized Trachycarpus for an acceptable price I will plant one of those as well; otherwise I will have to wait for my babies to grow. I may try a Rhapidophyllum or a Chamaerops too if I can get my hands on one.

A couple of questions related to these:

1. Has anyone had success cultivating California redbud (C. occidentalis), or should I just go with the eastern species (C. canadensis)? It will be in a drier part of the yard, with the mock orange; right now the grass dies down every summer where I will plant them.

2. How fast do T. fortunei seedlings grow? I have about ten that are on their first strap. Certainly they do not grow as fast as Washingtonia, but how would they compare to, say, Phoenix canariensis? How long would it likely take to get it to, say, 1 gallon size? (I have been able to get some W. robusta to get to 1 gallon size in about 1 1/2 years, for reference.)
Who wouldn't want free pie and chips?

ryan
Seedling

Post by ryan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:44 am

Thanks for the info Phil. I may head down this week to see what they have. I will ship out some seedlings to you when they are ready.

PhilMusa
Seedling

Post by PhilMusa » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:01 am

Wes,

The r. hystrix was in a 3gal pot it was a little over 2ft in height, I paid $59.99 for it. I also bought a 3gal fortunei for $35.00. They also had 1gal Takil for $39.99, 1gal pindo for $17.99 and some S.Minors but I can't remember the price.

Rayn,

Thanks again

regards
Phil

ryan
Seedling

Post by ryan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:29 pm

I went to broadview gardens today and picked me up a T.Fortunei and M. Basjoo. The plants look healthy and were reasonably priced. The M. Basjoo has eight suckers comming out, 2 of which are about 8 inches in length. I have removed these and planted them in separate pots. Broadview gardens only have one M. Basjoo left so if your planning on picking one up you better not procrastinate. I will post some picks tomorrow

Wes North Van

Phil

Post by Wes North Van » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:25 pm

Thanks,
I have e-mailed them to see what it would cost to have the r. hystrix and sabal minors shipped to Vancouver. We will see what happens.
Keats Island BC Zone 8a

PhilMusa
Seedling

Post by PhilMusa » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:57 am

Ryan,
Wow, it didn't take you long to check out Broadway. I'm gald you found something there.

Wes,
Good luck with the Needles and sabals!

Regards
Phil

banana joe
Seedling

Newest palm planting

Post by banana joe » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:10 pm

This morning at 8:30 am the courier truck arrived with my Brahea armata. I've been waiting for quite some time for this palm to arrive. It is a large feild grown bagged specimen. It is approx. 7'ft tall and weighed 200lbs or so. I prepared the planting hole weeks ago. I pulled it right off the truck and threw it in the hole. It is a very nice looking palm. Joe
Growing palms and other exotic plants here in the Southern Gulf Islands.

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:30 pm

Nice. :D Take some pics so we can see. :D

ryan
Seedling

Post by ryan » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:03 am

Late additions to my garden will include Canna 'Durban', Ensete ventricosum 'Maurelii' and Musella lasiocarpa. It was difficult to find a Canadian source for Musella lasiocarpa, but after a couple hours of searching I found one. I called the nursery and bought the last one. This banana is apparently just as hardy as basjoo and has one of the most unique flowers I have ever seen. Look this one up!

Information:

http://www.gardeningsingapore.org/article=0008.htm

Wes North Van

muscella lasiocarpa

Post by Wes North Van » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:57 pm

Ryan,
Almost every garden centre has this banana in stock here. I won't say it is as hardy as musa basjoo but it is definetly aa hardy banana. You will find it usually dies back every winter but appears back each spring. It also needs more heat than musa basjoo and is hard to get to flower.
Good luck
Keats Island BC Zone 8a