Yucca ID please!

Discuss anything about yuccas here.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Jova
Sprout

Yucca ID please!

Post by Jova » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:58 pm

Hello... I bought this yucca last spring at Lowes... picked it up in the houseplants section and immediately brought it home and stuck it out in the yard. It was tagged as "cane yucca", but I'd like to know the exact species so I can look up hardiness info and what not. I brought it in the house last november, and getting ready to put it back out now. Can anyone give me some solid info on this thing? Thanks in advance!

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Yucca guatemalensis (syn Yucca elephantipes)

Quite tender for a Yucca species. Best sites in zone 9b or milder. Prefers more watering than nearly any other Yucca species.

Cheers, Barrie.

ROBRETI
Seedling

Post by ROBRETI » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:12 am

Hey, Jova,

I agree with Barrie. This is called Y. elephantipes in Europe and it is a greenhouse plant even in zone 7. It can get oversized quite easily, which you can solve by simply cutting off the top (you can have it rooted) and also, the remaining trunk will grow new shoots.

Imagine, there are mainly Dutch operated "garden ships" that pick up the unrooted trunks in Central America and slowly ship them to Europe. By the time they arrive in Rotterdam, they will be fully rooted. All you need to do next is plant them into pots and sell them. Pretty good business.

Rob

Jova
Sprout

Post by Jova » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:39 pm

Rob: I'd say that explains why they can sell these things 2 feet tall at Lowes for 8 bucks a pop:) Thanks for the info guys!