Cold hardy cycads for zone 8b?

For cycad enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Dean W.
Small Palm

Cold hardy cycads for zone 8b?

Post by Dean W. » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:37 pm

I was wondering if anyone could help me make a list of cold hardy cycads for zone 8b? :D I'm thinking of ordering some seeds and I would like to know what is hardy in my zone besides Cycas revoluta.

Thanks,
Dean

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:47 pm

Cycas Taitungensis
Cycas panzhihuaensis
Cycas guizhouensis
Cycas petraea
Cycas sp. 'Wilailak'
Dioon edule
Are all 8 zone safe and much safer than Revoluta.

Dean W.
Small Palm

Post by Dean W. » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:53 pm

Wow, that was quick! :lol: Did you have that list on the top of your head? I e-mailed Robert Chumley so hopefully he will respond soon. Thanks for the list. :D

chumleycycads.com
Sprout

coldhearty cycads

Post by chumleycycads.com » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:55 pm

Listen to Wes ......he's had a lot of experience along these lines. good list
I live on 12 acres in Central Florida about half way between Tampa and Walt Disney World.I have seed colonies of over 60 varieties of cycads. I have over one half acre of variegated cycads and I make many hybrids as well.

Paul Ont
Large Palm

Post by Paul Ont » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:14 am

Wes, have you had luck overwintering Cycads in your zone? I know that people have overwintered C. panzhihuaensis in Maryland and D.C. without protection, so I was wondering what the climate limit is for the species, zone 7b?
I have some seeds and will try one with protection in my 4b/5a climate. Just to prove that Cycads are not hardy here! (Though I do know of someone in Niagara who has overwintered C. revoluta with minimal protection, for 3 years!)
Thanks!

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:04 pm

Well Paul, I only pot plant, then I yank the pot in October. So I have no answer for you personally.
HOWEVER, there is a guy on this forum, the name just escapes me right now and I am ashamed to say that as he has been a GREAT friend to me, but he has a Revolutla in the ground in Wichita, Kansas that looks great. He simply covers it with a plastic tarp and that works for him.
I know KNNN has had some good luck with his Zamia species also, but I think he does a bit more protection than the Wichita guy does.

Dean W.
Small Palm

Re: coldhearty cycads

Post by Dean W. » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:26 pm

chumleycycads.com wrote:Listen to Wes ......he's had a lot of experience along these lines. good list
I know, that list help me decide on a few things. Now I hope to add more thanks to, Wes. :D

Dean

Wes North Van

Cycas panzhihuaensis

Post by Wes North Van » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:25 pm

I live in a zone 8b/9a climate but a wet one in winter. I have overwintered Cycas panzhihuaensis here so you should have no problem in your area.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a