New Y.rostrata

Desert plants Photo Gallery

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

New Y.rostrata

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:51 pm

I just recieved these 15 gal Y.rostrata last week from the Kelowna Palm/flower farm ordered from San Diego. I thought they would have ordered more but he only brought the six I asked for. Jay I`m sending you a pm. Barb what do you think? I`m only keeping two so if anybody wants one near Kelowna pm me for the details.
http://groups.msn.com/OkanaganPalms/sho ... hotoID=450

John
Last edited by Okanagan desert-palms on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:20 pm

Monrovia kicked out a whole mess of these this year. They called them "limited edition" plants.

Cheers, Barrie.

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:03 pm

Barrie I`m lucky to get these. When I asked them to order them for me they said they had to do a search to find them as they weren`t in the computer system. I have friends down in L.A. that were up for a visit so I should be able to get them to send up the plants I want from Cal. as house plants bypassing the agricultural inspection. I`m hoping?

John
6b-7a

Paul Ont
Large Palm

Post by Paul Ont » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:37 am

Just make sure the plants aren't listed in CITES 1 or 2 (or that you have a permit), and you should have no problem bringing the plants in as houseplants, i.e. without a phyto!

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:47 am

Paul could you explain what you mean by plants being listed in cities one and two and what about a permit? I`m assuming there will be a small questionaire about what my friends are shipping to me via UPS. I`m just getting them to put houseplants for what is being shipped. Hopefully this will be sufficient to get them over the border. Do you have experience shipping house plants over the border? If so please let me know if there is anything I`m missing with my plan.

John
6b-7a

Paul Ont
Large Palm

Post by Paul Ont » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:06 pm

John,
I misunderstood... I thought your friends were driving the plants up with them! CITES deals with the trade in endangered plants and animals... If your friends are sending the plants via mail, then you are required by law to have a phyto certificate accompanying the plants... The houseplant rule only applies when you are carrying the plants across the border on your person (i.e. in your car or in a box via plane). That doesn;t mean that if they send the plants without a phyto they won't arrive, plants usually do... But if you follow the word of law then you can't have them send plants across the border without an inspection certificate, and if the plants are found they will be destroyed!
If the plants are covered by CITES (http://www.cites.org/) then they will also require a CITES permit!
Hope that helps!
Paul

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:40 am

Paul thanks for the info. I will have them send up something small and inexpensive to see what happens. This is way to much Government crap to deal with. It`s no wonder the US nurseries won`t spend the extra time it takes to send us palms ect. with the BS they have to deal with.

John
6b-7a

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:37 pm

Jeez, John, sorry I missed this post!!!!! and I was WAITING to hear about it...
Put my name on one or two, if you still have some! Gorgeous rostratas!!!!

BTW when I think of all the paperwork crap I went through to get a Wollemia nobilis from Australia (CFIA Import Permit good for one year @ $35.00), cost of plant to retailer PLUS $25.00 phytosanitary certificate PLUS PLUS PLUS shipping by air...) and then the year expired BEFORE the plant was shipped, so I asked for my money back from nursery, which they refunded.

I also tried to buy from Carolina (plantdelights nursery) yucca rostrata...didn't need the import permit, but for International customers you have to order $100.00 worth PLUS phytosanitary certificate PLUS shipping $$$$$$ PLUS PLUS PLUS...for 24 OUNCE...yup OUNCE-sized plants...well what a pain that was.
They email me every 2 weeks to say my order total wasn't at $100.00, so I up it a couple of more plants and hear nothing for another two weeks...
Doubt they'll even mail the things.

So the fact that you have ROSTRATA SITTING IN YOUR YARD....makes me kinda jump up and down.

Barb

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Just like they were listening....

Post by lucky1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:30 pm

man, this is eerie.
Same day I posted the above, guess who shows up?
Yup, the CFIA. :shock:

They placed a trap to check for Japanese Beetles.
Apparently the beetles are heading west.

Barb