Ordering anything out of Ontario or Quebec Canada?

Discuss all your non palm related stuff here.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Ordering anything out of Ontario or Quebec Canada?

Post by lucky1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:56 am

If so, have a look at this report:

AREAS INFESTED WITH OR SUSPECTED OF BEING INFESTED WITH JAPANESE BEETLE
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/pla ... scae.shtml

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:08 am

Makes me wonder. I'll have to check with Ryan at Corolla Tropicals to see if he is JB compliant. That may be why Botanix doesn't ship anything bigger than 3 gal palms out west.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:45 am

Allen,
bigger than 3 gal palms
JB don't fit into a 3 gal?? :shock:

It must be voluntary among nurseries, or do CFIA inspectors staff the Weigh Stations?
Barb

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:59 am

Japanese Beetles are more of a turf pest than a ornamental pest here in Pennsylvania. The larve of the beetles will eat the roots off your lawn grass leaving big areas of dead grass. The adults can cause damage to ornamental plants, but usually not to the point of killing the plant. One of the worst things you can do is use one of those Japanese beetle traps in your yard. They will bring every beetle within smelling distance to your yard where they will have a blast eating your foliage while they reproduce. I let my neighbors put their traps out, they can have all my Japanese Beetles.... :lol:
Not the pot I was expecting........

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:56 am

Craig, you make several good points.
Like we're going to order turf from Quebec... :lol:
One of the worst things you can do is use one of those Japanese beetle traps in your yard.
That's the way I feel about bug-zappers that were all the rage years ago.
I used to wonder why there were more and more moths caught in that thing as time went on.
I knew it wasn't logical to expect that zapper to totally eliminate moths, but felt the increase was unwarranted.

I think what happened was our bug zapper was the only light on at night for, maybe 1/4 mile in each direction in our rural area. The bug zapper actually brought in moths that would've ordinarily bypassed our place. :lol: :lol:

Barb

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:38 pm

Barb;

Deep in the bowels of the regulations, there is a section that says that chemically soaking a potted plant is only effective if the pot is less than a certain diameter(10 or 12"). After that they have to be inspected. This applies for shipping from a category 2 (infested) area to a category 1 (non-infested) area. Anything over about 3 gal. would require inspection by CFIA.

I don't know how they enforce it. Maybe they have a JB patrol :P

Or maybe it is an honor system. :(

Or maybe they don't care as long as the JB is leaving town :wink:

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:18 pm

Allen, they'd have to soak it longer, I would think.
Nice that you're up on those regulations :)
When I got my import permit last year, I spent hours looking through that cavernous site.
Bowels is right.
Barb

turtile
Seedling

Post by turtile » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:59 pm

Cali-wanna-b wrote:Japanese Beetles are more of a turf pest than a ornamental pest here in Pennsylvania. The larve of the beetles will eat the roots off your lawn grass leaving big areas of dead grass. The adults can cause damage to ornamental plants, but usually not to the point of killing the plant. One of the worst things you can do is use one of those Japanese beetle traps in your yard. They will bring every beetle within smelling distance to your yard where they will have a blast eating your foliage while they reproduce. I let my neighbors put their traps out, they can have all my Japanese Beetles.... :lol:
They seem to love Musa Basjoo and Crepe Myrtle.

Its funny how many people use bags to bring the beetles into the yard, lay their eggs and die. You can kill most of them by applying poison to kill the larvae.

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:30 pm

They seem to love Musa Basjoo and Crepe Myrtle.
They sure do!! I was at war last summer with them on my basjoo. I applied a systemic insecticide to the basjoo so their first meal would be their last..... :twisted:
Not the pot I was expecting........