Looking for Musa Basjoo

Please read rules

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Looking for Musa Basjoo

Post by Jay-Admin » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:34 pm

I am looking for Musa Basjoo seeds. The only seeds i have at the moment are Cordyline Australis which are not really cold hardy but if anyone is interested in trading please let me know.

Regards,
Jay

green99

basjoo seeds

Post by green99 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:09 am

It's nearly impossible to find M.basjoo seeds, because the male and female flowers develope at different times. The only way to get seeds would to be have two flowers developing at different stages(male and female), and to pollinate by hand. You should try a different type of hardy banana M.sikkimensis, M.balbisiana, or any of the other new cold hardy bananas out now. Orantique seeds, and banana tree have these sometimes. Good luck!

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:25 pm

Welcome to the forum Green99.

Thanks for the info. :D I did find that out. I got a few Musa Basjoo plants last summer. I also have some M.sikkimensis seeds germinating right now. Haven't heard about M.balbisiana i will have to check it out.

Regards,
Jay

green9 aka green99

Musa Balbisiana

Post by green9 aka green99 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:15 am

The only down side to the Musa Balbisiana is that it's origin very widespread(north to south, east to west all over asia.) The Japanese have been growing it, and I saw a web site in germany that claimed that their's had a hardiness somewhere between Musa basjoo, and Musa sikkeminsis.
The seeds are very easy to germinate with the peat baggy method, and tempature fluctuations.
For some reason the forum won't let me log in. Even when I selected the "forgot password" button. Do I have to wait longer or should I get a new name?

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:47 am

Hello,

Musa Balbisiana sounds good. Try to login now it should be fixed. :D

Regards,
Jay