Winter Cover Ideas?

Discuss greenhouse related topics and outside weather protection methods.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

davery
Seed

Winter Cover Ideas?

Post by davery » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:27 pm

I live in SW Ohio (zone 5, probably a micro-climate of at least a 6) and have several palms scattered about in front of my house and am looking for a few winter ideas. I have 5 Chinese Fan Palms (3 old, 2 new). In the past I have cut them back to the ground and mulched. I also planted two Chinese Windmill Palms this past spring. I'm thinking the first few years they will need protection. I am thinking of wrapping all them with Christmas lights and making about 6-7 enclosures. Maybe out of 2" styrofoam. Any suggestions?

tropicman
Small Palm

Post by tropicman » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:48 pm

Sounds like a winner to me,but where would you get 2 inch Styrofoam,at a reasonable cost!

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:08 am

The cheapest styrofoam board that I can find is the 3" x 2' x 8' type that is designed to 'wrap' the exterior of basements. It has a slightly thicker and stronger consistency than styrofoam packaging and is designed to be more resistant to weather. The pale green color very quickly sun bleaches to a very pale blue. It costs $18/sheet here in Edmonton.

I have 2 enclosures started with a 2' below ground styrofoam frame. One is 10' x 6' and the other is 8' x 3'. I plan to build 'knockdown' styrofoam walls and roof. I am still trying to figure out a way to do this that will allow me to take everything apart in the spring and store it relatively easily without damaging the styrofoam. If I can get the enclosures to last 3 years the cost isn't that bad.

Both enclosures are beside buildings. The one with the Chamerops and Butia will be heated by a heat tape wrapped around copper pipe. I will be moving the potted Cycas revoluta, Trachys, Sabals and Washys into this enclosure for the winter. The small one containing the chinese fan palms and a rhododendron will not be heated.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

tropicman
Small Palm

Post by tropicman » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:11 pm

Allen,
Can you drive half inch or larger rebar,into the ground 2 inches apart,then slide the 2 inch Styrofoam,in between the rebar.then go down 3 ft and do the same thing again,just to get a wall up.fill seams with silcone.

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:01 am

Thanks. I hadn't thought of rebar. I hadn't wanted to glue the sections together. Silicone along the outside of the edges should be enough to hold it together and still be easy to cut without damaging the foam.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:49 am

Couldn't you adhere the insulating material to plywood and a 2"x2" frame? It would screw together in minutes. I wonder if an old skylight or polycarbonate panel for the roof would be better, allowing light in. It could be hinged to vent on milder days.

Cheers, Barrie.

macario
Seedling

Enclosure

Post by macario » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:25 am

Hello, well I live here in chicago and I saw one frame built around a palm at a conservatory last winter. It was made of 1 1/2 pvc tubes. It was a simple square shaped enclosure . The whole thing must have costed 10 dollars. Then the square pvc frame was wrapped tightly with clear plastic to let heat in. They sell rolls of green house plastic I guess would work. I personally have a cold frame I put up which is basically the same thing but made of metal tube. I am right now going to try the pvc enclosure around a sabal palmetto I have. So far its costed me only 20 dollars worth of pvc. Its some very strong stuff.

Barrie

Re Enclosure

Post by Barrie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:29 pm

Here's an enclosure a buddy of mine did in Port Alberni here on Vancouver Island, He did it for his Chamaerops humilis which is likely fine without such a device. He used PVC tubing as suggested in the previous post. It comes apart in sections and assembles in minutes. It's anchored with re-bar and the cover is secured with bungy cords and can be pulled down in nasty weather.

Cheers, Barrie.

macario
Seedling

Exactly!!

Post by macario » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:48 pm

Thats exactly like what I have seen and what I am putting around my Sabal palmetto. It is easy make adjustmets for your application. Thanx Barrie thats a perfect example!

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:17 pm

No problemo amigo! Let us know how you do with your winter enclosure.

Cheers, Barrie.

davery
Seed

Post by davery » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:23 pm

I thought about the PVC frame and plastic wrap. I am concerned about it being insulated enough. It would certainly be cheaper than styrofoam. What about using bubble wrap around a PVC frame? Or maybe if I made a type of "jacket" to put over during the extreme temps. Maybe out of old sleeping bags or something?

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:14 pm

davery
I guess in colder climates there's more to consider. Start with a basic framework and insulate accordingly. Luckily for me all I need is an unheated canopy to keep the rain, frost and sloppy snow off the more tempermental palms.
Bubble wrap is good although more expensive than a double layered poly structure. Kind of like double glazed windows with an air gap between. A bit more involved to construct but somewhat cheaper. Colder climate folks add suplimental heat using various methods too. Let us kow what you come up with, or if you need more help.

Cheers, Barrie.