Indoor growing enclosure

Discuss palms you grow inside.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Bgreen
Sprout

Indoor growing enclosure

Post by Bgreen » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:02 pm

Hey everyone,

I was going to take several of my bananas to the local green house to overwinter and keep them growing, however they are limited on space. SO I have been thinking about building a pvc enclosure in my garage covering it with plastic and adding a 1000watt HID lighting system. I may add a small heater and thermostat just to make sure it stays over 60. Has anyone tried this or have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Benjamin Green

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:12 pm

I tried something close to that in the unfinished part of my basement last year. However this would be different than your garage as I really think the dry furnace heat was the culprit for my bananas dying.
Other than the Nanas dying, I had 2- 2' Robusta, 2 sappling Fortunei, 1 seedling Butia, and countless other seedlings die. Some trees I believe need the humid air more than the warmer temps. SO I believe a system like you are talking about would work much better. I would give it a try.
For what it's worth, the species that kept on growing and really didn't skip a beat in the basement were.... X-Mas palms (WOW, these just kept on putting out new leaf after new leaf), Triangle Palm (really didn't grow like it is now w/ 100 degree temps, but actually did put out two new leafs), & Butia sapplings (seedlings didn't do well at well, but sapplings really didn't skip a beat).

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:29 pm

I use a basement bedroom and shut off the heat to the room as a warm safe haven for my tropicals in the wintertme. Since its in the basement its stays very warm in the wintertime especially with heat from the lights and a humififier running in the room. It stays about 75F in the room and feels tropical with the humidifier and the heat from the lights. Also use an oscillating fan to move the air around. The garage enclosure would work too and I am considering doing something similar in my garage this year for my cold hardy stuff. The temp never drops below 40F in my garage even on 0F nights and its unheated (just protected on three side by a warm house). Just an idea, but I am considering using a camping tent for my stuff. You can buy a 9X7 tent this time of year for $30, they are easy to set up, and will last forever, plus you can take the wife and kids camping when its not being used as a small greenhouse.
Kent in Kansas
where it's cold in winter (always)
and hot in summer (usually)
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:40 pm

Yep OP. I thought of doing that myself with the tent. Your right, they are so cheap right now.

PALMETTOMAN
Seedling

garage enclosure

Post by PALMETTOMAN » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:09 pm

bgreen,

yes..i made about a 12X10 by 8 enclosure in my garage and it worked fine..I built the enclosureand wrapped it in tarp and put the small heater to her when the temps dipped below 28F or so..

The coldest it got was 1 or 2 nights at about 26F..

The garage has several windows so the light got through a little...I insuted the floor with a piece of plywood..

The nice thing about this was everthing has always pulled through including my potted musa basjoo's and eucalyptus tree..

No probs with the hardy palms...

This yr I will be using plexi instead of tarp...

PS, I would spray mist and add some hot buckets of water to help with the humidity but it sure beats the basement..

Palmettoman Z6-Ajax, On

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:57 am

mr palmettoman - did you add any artificial lighting to your garage greenhouse or just the windows.?
Kent in Kansas
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

Norm
Seed

Post by Norm » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:02 am

What is the rationale for using a greenhouse in the garage? Are you trying to get additional growth in the greehouse or just keep temps in check. Has anyone tried to overwinter palms in a dark cold room that never freezes? I have some trachys and robustas I would like to try this with.

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:48 am

for what its worth I completely covered in leaf mulch and grass clippings a very small T Fortunei last winter. I made a 12" tall cage out of chicken wire and placed it over the top of very young T Fortunei (maybe 6" tall). I then wrapped clear plastic around the sides and covered about 3/4 of the top of it so rain/sleet/ice would not fall directly on it and left it all winter. I can guarantee you it did not get any light except what penetrated the leaf and grass clippings (not very much light). It survived, but has been slow to regrow this summer. It saw maybe 2-5 nights near 0F. I too am curious about other peoples experience and can these things survive in a dark basement or garage. I will definetly experiment this winter by keeping a small one inside in darkness.
Kent in Kansas

PALMETTOMAN
Seedling

garage enclosure

Post by PALMETTOMAN » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:47 am

oppalm..

yes..i added artificial lighting in the form of grow and glow bulbs..these were hung from the top (3-4) and they were on a timer..

I pointed my ceramic heater right at a bucket of water to add humidity...

I plywooded the floor for insulation...

The windows provided some daylight...

On days with lots of sun I just opened the garage altogether and let the sun shine in...

Lady palm, oleander, yucca elephantis, eucalyptus tree, m/basjoo and any other Z8-Z9 were okay...

Palmettoman Z6-Ajax, On

sashaeffer
Large Palm

Post by sashaeffer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:53 am

OPPALM

Going to do the same thing with my baby windmill I planted in the ground. One of 4 I bought(others are in pots) One in the ground did noticeably better in growth vs the potted ones(all same dirt too) I put wire enclosure around it when planted(keep out rabbits) and will line the outside with bubble wrap, and bury the plant in leaf, and grass clippings as you did and come up with a clear cover of some kind. I won't have anything warming the ground either. I will surround the plant in filled leaf bags as well.....and see how things go.