Ok everyone, lets talk protection

Discuss greenhouse related topics and outside weather protection methods.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Ok everyone, lets talk protection

Post by Arctic Palm » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:14 pm

I know it's early but I was starting to think of protection methods. I would love to get a hold of that place in Germany that sells the palm heaters. No luck so far.

http://www.palmenheizung.de/thermofolie_engl.html

So, anyone in this forum come up with any great ideas, both easy and cheap, kinda like me!!! :lol:

I think I bought WAY to many palms....geez. I will keep some inside, like my small seedlings and 1 year olds, I am thinking of leaving my one T. Fortunei out with only burlap and some christmas lighs to see what happens, I am sure my coconut will be fine with no protection at all, very hardy those coconuts!! :o :roll: :?

What to do..what to do!!

dilbert
Sprout

Post by dilbert » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:19 am

I used mechanical thermostats where I bought around a dozen from an online electronics retailer. Maybe they are difficult to get, nowadays. Those thermostats I've put into a plastic case from the same retailer and there was one mains cable into such a box and one out, with a mains socket, so I could connect whatever I wanted: one bulb or more or something else.

Only the cabling with those thermostat-boxes took up some space in summer. I had always about a dozen shelters "to maintain".

Where we live now we really wouldn't have all that space, but winters are quite milder now so we don't need it at all. 8)

Then I stored ... :roll: wooden frames of sizes 1 x 1 meters and 2 X 1 meters. Then different material to attach to the frame, mostly plates of tri-plane, and bitumen roof plates, and the like. This was a great mixture of everything I had already lying around or I could gather relatively cheap.

The so constructed shelters have been made a liitle bit more air-tight with one or more layers of plastic foils, tent-flats and the like. A cord around them and also further cords to secure the whole thing against strong winds held the entire construction it its place.

I must add that most of the shelters were in the backyard so the ugly collection of strange objects didn't disturb my wife too much as the neighbours already knew that I was crazy and worked at night in the garden when it was really cold or stormy.

The more solid you do those shelters the less work you have with them, the better they look and the more they will cost.
:lol:

And one important thing is: lots of thermometers, at best those min-max ones, to get an idea how good your shelter is. Thermometers on the ground, on the stem, in the crown ... :lol:

turtile
Seedling

Post by turtile » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:43 pm

Here is a place in the US that sells something similar.
http://www.cas.muohio.edu/coldhardypalm ... ursery.htm

PALMETTOMAN
Seedling

winter protections

Post by PALMETTOMAN » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:30 pm

I'd like to think were 5 months off...

For w/mills and washingtonia, I'll use the basic mulch consisting of pine bark and then ceramic heaters under a constructed "plexi shed"...

I plan on keeping the temps no colder than 5C, at all costs...

Palmettoman Z6-Ajax, On

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:53 am

My plans consist of using 3" thick styrofoam sheets above and below the ground in combination with a heat tape and copper tubing to help evenly distribute the heat. I am going to try to keep it as simple as possible as well as easy to assemble/disassemble. Details available before October-- I hope. :wink:

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:08 am

All great ideas, keep'em coming. I am pretty sure I am just going to build a greenhouse as seen on this web site.

http://www.palmsnorth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=761

I have seen some creative ideas from people on this site, very impressive. Goes to show we are either nuts or enthusiasts!!

macario
Seedling

Cold!!

Post by macario » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:32 pm

Hello people Ive been very busy at work havent posted much. Im laughing typing this because I ordered my coldframe already too, we are all on the same page I think:)

My cold frame will cover almost my whole yard but there are qa few things still left out in the cold for me. Ive been thinking of these two things I saw on other boards.

The first is are here at this site. They make the in every height and width and let in sun and keeps out wind and rain and snow.

http://www.cas.muohio.edu/coldhardypalm ... ursery.htm

Second you could enclose the palm by just putting wood spikes around the palm that are 1ft taller than the palm, then wrap chicken wire around the spikes so the palm is enclosed and fill it with leaves or straw, then put a round rubber or plastic garbage can lid over the whole thing to keep rain out.

What do you think?

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:51 pm

macario

have you ever bought any of these palm heater? I went to the site but there is no pics or anything. Does anyone have any experience with these?

How are your large palms doing?

macario
Seedling

Palm

Post by macario » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:46 pm

I have tried heating the green house but thats a waste of gas and electric. At first I was trying to keep the palms warm but failed. Thats when I realized I needed just to keep the palms around 20f-30f degrees to make it through the winter and keep them free from rain and snow. This is how my butia made it with easy through the winter. I have used those blocks that turn on and of to regulate heat but I found they just end up staying on constantly anyway because of everything looses heat so fast.

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:31 pm

What about the palms that are rated in the upper 30's and 40's? Do you think they could servive if protected from snow and such.? In addition, your T. Fortunei's are MUCH larger than any I have seen around here. SO they me be hardier then the small ones I have.
Whats your opinion?

macario
Seedling

Palm

Post by macario » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:54 pm

My palms , butia included are all rated around 20-30 degrees and they made it through at least 2 months straight of being at those temps. The have no problem taking those temperatures as long as they are completely free of rain and snow. Also on sunny days the temps in the enclosure goes up to the 70's on its own from the sun, just use clear or semi clear plastic over the enclosure you use. You are right the smaller ones may neee a little help so you can put small christmas lights on it in the enclosure and thats all it will need the whole winter.

Arctic Palm
Seedling

mary jane grow lights

Post by Arctic Palm » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:32 am

Has anyone tried using the grow lamps people use to grow pot for palms?? I am thinking of installing a few of those for both heat and extra light. Any comments?

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:47 am

Artic palm - I used 2 - 100watt spot lights in a small outside A frame palm hut I built last winter. The hut was 4' X 9' and about 3' tall. The 2 spot lights put out enough heat to keep the inside of the hut 15-20 degrees warmer than the outside temps. I only used the lights on nights when temps went below about 10F (-12C). It worked very well for what I was trying to do. By the way - all the palms in this hut were in pots and buried in the ground for winter.

Mike - If I remember right, the palms you had in your winter structure were potted and sitting on top the ground. Did you have any problems with the pots freezing which would freeze the roots of the palm trees or did you keep the pots from freezing?
Kent in Kansas
where it's cold in winter (always)
and hot in summer (usually)
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

macario
Seedling

Palm

Post by macario » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:33 pm

Yes I did. Almost every I had inpots had some type of root damage, but the same palms in t he ground did not. I did not heat the enclosure. The only thing that didnt have any damage that was in pots was my sabal minor nw texas eco-type. I and they are in 5 gallon deep pots they are still in there juvenile stage no big fans yet. Both for sale by the way lol.