Next few days are going to be nice and HOT!

Discuss your weather and climate here.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Next few days are going to be nice and HOT!

Post by Jay-Admin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:52 pm

It's gonna be roasting here come Friday. Guess it would be a good idea to jump in the lake to cool off. :)

Regards,
Jay

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:32 pm

I am finally glad that I am in Edmonton. We are not supposed to get warmer than 32 or 33 C. I am already grateful that I broke down and bought a portable air conditioner this spring.

I hope that you have air conditioning.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:01 pm

I don't have Air conditioning yet. :(

I am looking into getting Central Air installed very soon. :D

Regards,
Jay

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:30 pm

Jay ... I have it on good authority that most interior homes and businesses use AC. I was thru Cache Creek and the Fraser Canyon (B.C.) very recently and locals there tell me they'd never make a summer without AC.
We have a very few days here on the Island that require AC. After today my wife informed me enough is enough. Lookin' for an AC unit tomorrow.

Cheers, Barrie (Lantzville, Van.Isl.)

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:01 am

Yeah, If you don't have AC here then your roasting. It was 33c in my house this evening. It's now 29.8c while i'm posting :( My Wife has been bugging me to get AC since we bought our house two years ago. Can't argue with the Wife. :wink:

Regards,
Jay

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:00 am

Yup it's smokin hot! Maybe some thunderstorms Saturday.

I had left a little portable thermometer on a glass patio table last nite.
At 7:30 this morning, the sun was shining right onto it (heating the glass table, too)
and it read 42 C :(

The radio said 22 (in the shade of course).

No AC but fans going full tilt all nite.

Barb

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:24 am

Lytton is the hottest spot in BC and this week is no exception. 42c (107.6f) is forecst for those folks !!! We're cooler today with temps not expected to exceed 32c (90f).

Cheers, Barrie.

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:01 pm

37 C is sure hot for Island folks, Barrie.
Was that a record for your area?

Here's a pic of our valleyview this morning...no, it's not a fire. It's dust from all the logging trucks
bringing Mountain Pine Beetle-killed wood down the mountain to the mills.
It must be carnage up there on the plateau.
Barb

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:30 pm

Barb,
I believe some areas did come close to record and some exceeded that. Personally I've had 38c (100f) only once in the past 5 years since living here. We where close to that yesterday. The closest reporting station is about 25 miles south at Cassidy (Nanaimo airport). Typically it's cooler there nearly every time I check, no matter what time of year it is.

I saw first hand how devistated the pine forests where. The south end of the Fraser Canyon is unaffected at this point but further north there isn't a green pine to be seen. I drove as far north as Mackenzie and I rarely saw a healthy pine. Terrible!

Cheers, Barrie.

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:54 pm

Barrie, hopefully you'll keep getting breezes off the ocean (versus outflow from the interior).
I always feel so sorry for old(er) :D folks and pets and wildlife when they face temperature extremes.

It must be wonderful to walk in the ocean in the evening.

Too bad this heat doesn't kill MPB ...
The risk of fires, with all that needle duff on the ground, must be alarming in those huge areas.

Those of us who don't travel much see only the "VQ" visual quality (small clearcuts, etc.) from the valley floor.
Imagine what it looks like from a plane.

As I type this, two more logging trucks are coming down that dusty road.
I think of the habitat/cover loss to deer, birds, not to mention what all that dirt will do to our drinking water.
Barb

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:30 am

Barb,
The cooling started yesterday afternoon and it was intersting to find 28c a very pleasant temp. I think by 5 pm it was cooler still and we've had the odd (and very rare) thunder shower over night and this morning.
For the record, I never walk in the ocean. It's only a mile down the road but we tend to take things for granted I suppose. I Imagine if I was removed from my present position, the first thing I'd do apon returning, would be to head to the beach.

Cheers, Barrie.

dilbert
Sprout

Post by dilbert » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:48 am

After almost THREE MONTHS with day time temperatures around 60°F we are finally getting to a little more sunshine and day temperatures around the 70's. Hurray, we don't need anymore to switch on the heating overnight. :lol:

No, we don't live on the southern hemisphere in Tasmania, we live in England. This spring and summer this year we had cooler temperatures than most parts of Alaska and even northernmost Barrows, AK, was quite a few days warmer than we. :shock:

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:20 am

That must have been tough putting up with the cold that long. I'm glad that you are starting to warm up.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:30 pm

hang in there dilbert,
I recall the folks on the UK Oasis board (where I post infrequently) mentioning a fabulous autumn and very mild winterlast year. Perhaps the same will repeat.

Cheers, Barrie.

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:12 pm

Watching the tennis matches at Wimbledon was sad...all the rain dampening everyone's spirits.
You'll likely have summer into end-November.
Climate shifting.
Barb

dilbert
Sprout

Post by dilbert » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:07 am

Thanks folks for trying to cheer me up ... :(

I had already people saying here: "What do want? It was already warm and sunny on Christmas, so wait a while until Christmas." :shock:

Well, I'm already determined. When at least in August it won't become warmer than 70°F and at least with some days of full sunshine, I'll get some electrical heating for the mini greenhouses. :x