Yucca Elephantipes and 2 weeks of overnight freezes

Discuss anything about yuccas here.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

yuccaman
Seedling

Yucca Elephantipes and 2 weeks of overnight freezes

Post by yuccaman » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:56 am

My Yucca has been into 2 weeks of frosty nights and had some deadly freezes as well. Its still going strong (I think) but its green is a bit pale but doing good.
I will keep it out for a little bit more and see how it does but December is coming and we could have freezes as low as -20C and rare cases of -26C.

I had not been on long since this summer had record dry (worse than 50 years) and had put an end to some of my remaining plants. The hot temperatures were
long and extended into mid October! and right now its only 6C but its sunny.

I lost my favorite tree aka Tulip tree. I cut the bark and its dry and the leaves were crunchy and burnt and the whole tree is a loss and completely lifeless.

The photo of the Yucca elephantipes.

The battery died on my camera so I used the video camera instead. The plant survived -6C for two nights.

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:25 pm

It looks good. My yucca E. survived -3.8* C before I put them into the shelter.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

yuccaman
Seedling

Post by yuccaman » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:31 pm

Hey Allen! -3C is not bad for a trunked Yucca E. I am not sure if its the trunks that have a less ability to survive cold but mine did good.
I will do what you did by bring them in because its going to drop as low as -4C (whats predicted) but it goes lower than that most of the
time and possibly -8C which is below zone 9 and is a zone 8B. It did very poorly in the summer and its doing better right now in November!

The Temperatures it survived is -6C 2 nights, -4C 1 night, -3C for 4 nights,-2C for 6 nights, -1C for 1 night. These might not seem low but
for that type of yucca, it really is.

I will bring them in very soon until its too late.

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:32 pm

Quite often frost damage isn't evident for weeks even months afterward. Yucca elephantipes is only truly hardy in zones 9b (mildest parts) or warmer. Outside of that range, expect trouble.

Cheers, Barrie.

yuccaman
Seedling

Post by yuccaman » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:30 pm

Hey Berrie there is slight frost damage on it and I could expect to get worse. for Monday I will dig it out and get it in the house fast. My Palm 90% damage
due to the summer we had.

I think I left it out to long and hope its not to late. I believe you Barrie that I will have problems with it and the only thing is to get it in for the winter. Its just
a really pale green (white green) and its leaves are starting to curl up. I still think it could also be to late. Fingers crossed.

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:07 am

I hope that it survives for you. I left the first one that I got out in the direct sun this spring without gradually conditioning it. Although it was not hot, the yucca got 'sunburn' and had about 30% of it's leaves die back at the tip. It recovered but didn't increase in size this year.

The three of them suffered about 5 days of minus temperatures with only one day lower than -2* C.

Allen

yuccaman
Seedling

Post by yuccaman » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:13 pm

Thanks Allen, hope yours are doing great for you too. I planted my yucca out in April and got some sun burn also since its on the south wall that has bright green paint and reflects off and gives it more heat and it was not warm for me also and did not do well and had 25% sun burn and a little frost damage.

The wall in the photo I had made the yucca suffer less and the sun gave it more heat but still have trouble around -2 or lower but do good.

PALMETTOMAN
Seedling

yucca elephantis

Post by PALMETTOMAN » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:09 pm

Hey boys..Nice to here you tried to harden them off.

I have several specimans the largest one's being 7 feet tall now (potted)..They are always planted in full sun-april to november...Mine has taken about -3C lowest temps with no damage over 2-3 nights...

They are garaged during the winter and seem to just harden and get sharper around the edges..

In the spring the leaves get burned and then by July they recover...

Palmettoman Z6-Ajax, On

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:41 pm

So Far my 3 survived the -3.8*C without a mark on them. Since being put in the shelter they have been between -2*C and as much as 11*C.

Allen

PALMETTOMAN
Seedling

cold hardy yucca's

Post by PALMETTOMAN » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:15 am

Allen..

Nice to hear..-3C or cooler...thats something considering the books say the temps should be no cooler than 7C. I can attest that once they get used to those cold temps and then grow in size they become hardened off..and more hardier...

Mine are garaged now at around +3C or so (with spots lights on them), and over the past several years have grown into small tree's. I actually plucked 3 suckers growing at the base last spring and planted them and they are now 1-2 foot plants...

I'll post some pics later...

Thanks

Palmettoman Z6-Ajax, On