yuccas hardy in the okanagan

Discuss anything about yuccas here.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

ronbruce
Seedling

yuccas hardy in the okanagan

Post by ronbruce » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:29 pm

Which yuccas would be hardy here aside from glauca and filamentosa? Is recurvifolia? Which others? Also where are these fine plants available? I did see baccata at the Summerland Ornamental Garden and know that Cedar Rim carries them but what other types are possible? Thanks in advance. Ron, in Penticton :)

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:03 am

Hi Ron, I grow a lot of different hardy yuccas here in Kelowna. Here's some pics from last year.

http://www.palmsnorth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558

I will have to take some more pics in a week or so and post them.

You can get cheap recurvifolia at any Home Depot on the lower mainland for around $25 for a 5 gallon size. They seem to do the best for me. :D One of them that has been in the ground for the last two years is already starting a nice trunk. :D Not many places in the Okanagan sells anything other than glaucas and filamentosa. You can also try tropic.ca :D He has a great selection.

Regards,
Jay

ronbruce
Seedling

Post by ronbruce » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:42 am

Thanks Jay, time for a small trip to the west coast. :) I look forward to seeing your pictures.

ronbruce
Seedling

Post by ronbruce » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:10 pm

Hey your pictures from last year look great Jay. I hope they all continue to work well for you. I must try some Agaves, etc sometime as well. I did manage to get a Hesperaloe this year if I would only plant it...sigh. :oops:

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:01 pm

Thanks Ron, I haven't tried any agaves yet. I have some seedlings that I hope will be big enough to plant next year. I did have a couple yuccas die from last winter but everything else made it through. I usually try to make it to the lower mainland at least once a year to get some yuccas etc. but didn't make it this year. I'll get some pics up by the weekend. :D

Regards,
Jay

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:39 pm

I posted a few yuccas pics in the photo area. These are actually from a couple of weeks ago. I still haven't had the time to take recent pics of all my yuccas.

Regards,
Jay

Wes North Van

ronbruce

Post by Wes North Van » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:59 pm

Maple Leaf Garden Centres are a great place to pick up some nice and different yuccas but I would wait until February now when their new stock comes in.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a