Cracking hard seeds

Germination Techniques

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

green99
Seed

Cracking hard seeds

Post by green99 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:06 am

Does anyone crack their seeds? I've been doing this with Butia with good success, and getting up to three seeds in one shell sometimes. I only have experience doing this with butias, jubea, and syragus. I'm not sure weather this really makes that much of a difference because I have never left the seeds alone(uncracked).

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:18 am

Interesting. I have heard of cracking seeds but have never tried it. I'll have to give it a try with some butias i have.

Regards,
Jay

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:02 pm

I just tried scarifing with sand paper Butia eriospatha,Rhapidophylum hystrix,Nannorhops richiana,Trithrinax capestris, any seed with a hard shell. I am a little impatient considering my 48 out of 50 Wash. filifera are already on their third strap leaf only seven weeks old.The scarified seeds are already starting to send out the first bulge signs of germination. The other ones unscarified just look at me like: keep waiting some more? :( When I sand the seeds I am very careful not to get into the embryo and germination points on the seed. The baggie method is used for all of these seeds with a bottom heat mat 27c - 79f for 16 hrs 16c - 60f for the other 8hrs. Does anyone know better ways of propogating Sabal seeds ? :?:
Regards,
JOHN
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a