Please help me identify these two jewels! :)

Discuss palms you grow inside.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

DrKungPao
Sprout

Please help me identify these two jewels! :)

Post by DrKungPao » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:07 am

Just bought these. got them for a heck of a steal. I want to make sure ive got their wants and needs fully addressed. So please... if you know about them could you please share their names? Also. Who has tricks for keeping spider mites off of indoor palms? Every one ive ever tried before has gotten these.

Thanks so much!

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:22 pm

The second pic is a Majesty palm, the first I have no clue...but very nice. Whats your zone? Spider mites are a pain, try having a fan directed at the palm. Mites DO NOT like wind.

DrKungPao
Sprout

Post by DrKungPao » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:52 am

Thats a really good tip Arctic. Thanks alot. I've been really worried about mites! Ive heard humidity is good to so i'm thinking a humidifier/fan that i could direct towards it might be a good idea. I really love the plants in the first picture too. They are really exciting. I think we paid 60 dollars for the biggest one and 20 for the smaller. I think we got a steal. That was even after talking the lady up a bit...

I will report back after trying it and let everyone know how much success I've had. I live in Southwestern Idaho. Zone 6 I believe. I've been able to manage a fairly healthy crop of musa's in my back yard :) ! They came back after not being protected at all last winter. This fall I plan to mulch heavily.

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:45 am

I have on the same size as yours. DO NOT PUT IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT!! I made that mistake. Filtered sun or maybe occasional sun but never full all day sun. I fried mine doing that. Water a lot too...they like water.

macario
Seedling

Plants

Post by macario » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:45 pm

The first pic look like bird of paridise

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:56 am

I agree with the bird of paradise in pic 1 and the majesty in pic 2. Help control spider mites by misting your plants every day or every couple of days and it does help to keep a fan on them for 6-10 hours a day. Put the fan on a timer and you never have to remenber. I use an oscillating fan that moves the air around. good luck.
Kent in Kansas
where it's cold in winter (always)
and hot in summer (usually)
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

DrKungPao
Sprout

Post by DrKungPao » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:42 pm

Thank you so much everyone! I am designing the regiment lol. :) Moved her into a more non direct light area. I will keep this thread up to date. :lol: