Have a look Banana Pro's

Banana Plants, etc

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Have a look Banana Pro's

Post by Arctic Palm » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:51 pm

Got these from the grocery store here. They were $2.00 so I thought what the heck BUT..I don't know what kind they are. I was thinkin super dwarf maybe, anyone have any opinions?

Thanks!

Bgreen
Sprout

Post by Bgreen » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:06 am

Hey AP,

I thought SDC as juveniles had leaves with some reddish-purple splotches, and I thought they had a wax on the pseudostem. I have no-idea what they are, just that they are different than my Dwarf cavendish.
Thanks,

Benjamin Green

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:46 am

I don't know much about bananas. I have 2 varieties and this is my first year. The shape of the leaves and the lack of purplish markings tells me that they most likely are not Dwarf Cavendish or Rajapuri.

I know nothing about Super Dwarf Cavendish. What I have seen, in attempting to identify the Dwarf Cavendish, is that there is a lot of variations in the plants within the variety. This is especially the case for older, more common varieties like the cavendishes.

It also seems that there is not much difference between most of the common fruiting varieties.

If you have the patience, wait a year and see how it looks. Then go to the banana website and look at pics.

Have fun. I still don't know what my unlabeled box store bananas are. They look like Dwarf Cavendish to me, so they are Dwarf Cavendish until something happens to change that. :wink:

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:08 am

Alchris,

Your right, I will just wait and see what happens with them. I have a super dwarf and they do look different. I guess we will just wait n see!!

Thank you