Musa Basjo Pups?

Banana Plants, etc

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Musa Basjo Pups?

Post by Arctic Palm » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:28 pm

My Musa's have several pups each. I tried cutting one off to grow it and here is what I found. The baby was attached to the main stem. No roots or anything. I planted it and it's just dying. How do I separate them?

tropicman
Small Palm

Post by tropicman » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:02 pm

AP,you must cut into the mother and get a little of her root,or wait long enough for the pup to be over a foot tall or 2 ft tall is better with there own root.

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:27 pm

Do not give up on the dying pup yet. If you got enough of the mothers corm it should develop roots. In the interim the pup will turn black above the surface and look dead.

Have patience. It may develop roots and send out a shoot after 4 or 5 weeks.

I got 2 raja puri pups. One had some of the mothers roots and has started to put out a leaf after 5 weeks despite a 2 week period with cool temps and little sun. The other had 1 root strand and some of the corm. It hasn't started to put out a leaf yet, but I haven't given up.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:42 pm

Not trying to hijack your thread Arctis, but I have a question about Musa pups also. I have a number of small pups growing from the parent plant's corm. I have forced the pups stem to come in contact with the soil before they shoot up. Will this help the pups root or am I wasting my time?

Craig