looking for christmas palm seeds.

This section is for enthusiasts looking for hard to find cold hardy palms, yuccas, plants etc.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

cedardave
Sprout

looking for christmas palm seeds.

Post by cedardave » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:26 pm

The source I used to get these from hasnt had any in a while. Does anyone here know a good source for these seeds ?

Wes North Van

Rarepalmseeds

Post by Wes North Van » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:19 pm

I use them for my seeds.
The Christmas palms seeds germinate easily.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

cedardave
Sprout

Post by cedardave » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:50 pm

thank you. I found a new supplier.

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:29 pm

Wes North Van,

Hey there. I have been trying since November to get these seeds to germinate. I don't find them easy at all. I am still waiting. I have one that has a little spike coming up. I will post a pic.

Any advice would be great. These are one of my favorite palms and I can't seem to make it work

Wes North Van

Artic Palm

Post by Wes North Van » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:42 pm

I always use the ziploc baggie method. I put 50% perlite and 50% peat moss in a baggie. I slightly moisten the mix and with the Christmas palms I just put them near the surface and put them above my fridge. They germinated in 6 weeks.
Keats Island BC Zone 8a

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:19 pm

Wes North Van,

This is going to sound pretty stupid but, when you say germinate do you mean when that little root looking thing starts popping out?
At that point do you plant them? How deep?

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:13 am

Arctic, No do not pull them out at first site of a root. Always let them get a good start on the first "leaf" before removing them.
I have ruined many seeds by moving them too soon.
What I do now is I let them get a really good root system going and a good start on the first leaf. Then I keep them in the community and move them (soil and all, being carefull not to mess any of the dirt or seeds up) to a deeper pot (still in the community). I let tehm stay in that for about a month before I seperate them ino their own single pots.

cedardave
Sprout

Post by cedardave » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:18 am

I have found planting the seeds into the pots they are going to stay in is the best way to go. I too have had trouble getting them to sprout. Mass planting in a sealed tub was a total failure a number of times, but planting in there pots and making sure not to overwater them seens to do the trick. Keep them warm...and wait.

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:19 am

cedardave wrote:I have found planting the seeds into the pots they are going to stay in is the best way to go. I too have had trouble getting them to sprout. Mass planting in a sealed tub was a total failure a number of times, but planting in there pots and making sure not to overwater them seens to do the trick. Keep them warm...and wait.

Really??? Thats the best way I have found. I get some clear transparent containers with air tight lids from a local fast food place (pasta salad comes in it) and fill half way w/ medium, place seeds, then barely cover w/ more medium, then put on heat source. I have had unbelievable luck. Got Phoenix Dachy seeds to pop in 5 days, Robusta in 9 and Filifera in 9. Thats just a couple. Now the baggie method, that didn't work for me.

Wes North Van

Artic Palm

Post by Wes North Van » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:03 pm

I remove the seedlings from the bag when the first leaf is about two inches long. I just pulled them out carefully not to tear the roots and planted them in a one gallon pot. They are now all around a foot tall after two years. They look good even at this size. I had nine of ten germinate.
The key to germination is the seeds have to be fresh. Any seed you get now is not that fresh. Just being in the Mayan Riveria in December and now again in April I can tell you this for sure. In December they were red and would just fall of the palm if you touched them. Now they are green and smaller. They will be ripe in November, December hence the name Christmas palm.
Keats Island BC Zone 8a

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:12 pm

Wes North Van,

I happen to be going to mexico end of october!!!!!
I think I should be an extra suit case for tropicals I plan on bringing back

Wes North Van

Artic Palm

Post by Wes North Van » Tue May 01, 2007 10:33 pm

Which side are you going to?
If you are on the east coast the Christmas palm seeds could be ready.
Keats Island BC Zone 8a

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Wed May 02, 2007 12:59 am

Wes North Van,

Cancun and area

Wes North Van

Artic

Post by Wes North Van » Wed May 02, 2007 6:21 pm

Then the Christmas palm seeds should be ready. I was 1 1/2 hours south of Cancun, right between Playa del Carmen and Tulum and they were ready in November. Probably at the same time the Thrinax Radiata seeds will be ready also. I really like the looks of this palm. It is commonly called the Florida thatch palm.
Keats Island BC Zone 8a

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Post by Arctic Palm » Wed May 02, 2007 6:24 pm

Wes North Van,

Best believe I will be filling up on as many differst seeds/seedling and others that I can. I am so getting busted.