Mildow got my palm again

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Held4Ransom
Seed

Mildow got my palm again

Post by Held4Ransom » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:52 pm

This is the third summer that I have my windmill palm. So the second year of storage. The first year of storage, I removed my winter cover third week in April. There was a lot of mold on the palms and I had to cut off 8 of the larger palms. This year I remove the winter cover the first week of April. Mild struck again. The was mold on almost all of the tips of the palms. I washed all of the palm. A week later all of the palms that had mold went brown and the tree looked terrible. So, I removed all of the brown palms. Now the tree is barren and it looks pitiful. Is this common and is there way to avoid this problem. I keep the shelter at 30 degree F with a electronic temp controller. My structure is 2'x2'x8'. The palm to sit on the sides of the struction. Is the contact of the walls causing the mold?

:( :( :( :(

905palms
Seedling

Post by 905palms » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:15 pm

The enclosure seems t be the right size, and warm enough, however:

2 things that cause mold: 1) no ventilation in the enclosure, for the damp air to rotate.. dryer the better. See some of Beny's posts.
2) Make sure before you store the palm in the enclosure, you spray with a fungicide to prevent any spring fungus growth.

Usually throughout the winter once or twice on mild days, give it a shot of fungicide to be safe. Once the enclosure comes
off in the spring, give it another shot of fungicide and this will minimize any pathogen growth.

If you can post a few pics, that would be great!
Je n'est pas d'affaire a faire, les affaires que je n'est pas d'affaire a faire - moi
I have no business doing the things I have no business doing - me