Winter Protection (Musa Basjoo)

Banana Plants, etc

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Winter Protection (Musa Basjoo)

Post by Jay-Admin » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:08 pm

I just received some Musa Basjoo plants and they are now in the ground and i am wondering when the first frost hits what kind of protection do they need?

I am in zone 6. These banana plants are new to me so any tips or pointers would be appreciated. :D

Regards,
Jay

PlanesandPalmsGuy
Sprout

Post by PlanesandPalmsGuy » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:45 am

I purchased my first Musa basjoo plant back in May, and planted it on June, 1. It has had little growth since then putting on 5-6 new leaves, I would assume it must establish itself before it really takes off. Anyways, I am told that the plant will die to the ground after the first one or two frosts. Once that happens, mulch heavily during the winter here in zone 7. I'm going to use a Cypress mulch. I read that Musa basjoo may stay in the ground year around because it is cold hardy to -20F. I would just let your Musa basjoo die to the ground the first frost or two, apply alot of mulch, and just wait for it to come back up in the spring. Probably a good fertilizer, high in nitrogen and potassium would be good in the spring, to encourage new fast and healty growth! I am hoping that my Musa basjoo will get 14 or more feet tall next summer! :D
(Insert witty remark here)

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:11 pm

Great thanks :D

I bought a few of them so i will experiment with different ways of protecting them. That's (14 feet tall) awesome, I hope mine grow that tall. A house in my area has a few of them in the ground but they are only about ten feet tall. They still look great! :D Thanks for the tips.

PlanesandPalmsGuy
Sprout

Post by PlanesandPalmsGuy » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:35 am

No problem. I'm sure your Musa Basjoo's will get 14 feet tall. I just came back from Wisconsin two days ago and when I looked at my Musa basjoo, it grew a few inches while I was gone. It has been really hot and really humid lately(which is normal for this time of year), with high's in the upper 90's and high heat indices. M. basjoo seems to grow fastest in those types of conditions, with lots of sun and moisture! :D
(Insert witty remark here)

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:11 am

That sounds good :D

Ya it's been hot here too. In the high 90's with lot's of sun but not humid. We get that dry desert heat. The Musa Basjoo is already growing fast! Can't wait till they get BIG BIG BIG. :D