Key Limes

Citrus, Ferns, Hostas, Discuss other plants that don't fit in any other category.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Barrie

Key Limes

Post by Barrie » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:13 pm

After some expert advice from Laaz, here's the "fruits of my labor". Key limes forming and with any luck at all there's going to be a dozen ice cold Corona beer when they're ripe!

Cheers, Barrie.

Wes North Van

Key Limes

Post by Wes North Van » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:27 pm

Barrie,
Those look healthy. I gather they were inside your greenhouse this winter or did you have them inside your home?
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:50 pm

VERY nice Barrie!!!!!
I met Laaz after I had found the secret to getting Valencia Orange to thrive.......Oddly enough it was the things I least expected....Keep cold (40 - 50) w/ no water and little Sun.
Thanks to the advise, I have about 30-40 blooms on a 3 1/2' tree w/ 10-12 really good starts.
Barrie, I miss my Key Lime. You may have just enspired me to go buy another.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:51 pm

Barrie's tree is not a store bought tree. It was grown from seed as were all three of mine. Key limes will produce fruit from seed in 2-3 years if grown properly.

Barrie great job. All three of my Key's are loaded up with small fruit.

I will have to take some more pics this coming weekend, citrus is going crazy this year.

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:52 pm

Yup ... a seed grown tree from about (at most) 4 years ago. It's in a 5 gallon pot for now and was brought in during a couple of cold days in late November then back out again. Those of you around the PNW will remember that one.
Again I moved in during the January cold spell and within days erupted into bloom. I couldn't very well put the poor bastard outside again, so in it stayed until mid-March. Now it is quite happy in my coldframe/greenhouse. Kansas ... no need to find one to buy. Buy a bag of key limes (many uses) and start some from seed. It's one of a very few citrus that grow true from seed, and in relatively short time.

Cheers, Barrie.

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:39 am

REALLY!!!!!!!!
So any special needs for the seeds? Or just the usual damp moss in an air tight container w/ bottom heat????
I am REALLLLLLLLLY excited now. Please give me more info.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:33 am

You can usually get a mesh bag of key limes at walmart. No special germinating, just put them in a pot & keep them moist not wet. They will sprout in 2-3 weeks. After they get their first true leaves, keep them fertilized. Once the trees get to 18 - 24 " tall, top them so they branch out. All three of mine fruited the second year.