Need some advice

Cold hardy desert plants etc.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

macario
Seedling

Need some advice

Post by macario » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:45 pm

Hello everyone, I have a problem, my yucca thompsoniana is starting bloom and produce flowers stalks on 2 of the heads. Is there anyway to stop or halt the growth? How tall will the stalks be? Or should I just cut them off? I could move it out in the hall and it would have about 6ft over head to grow.

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:16 am

I am NOT the person to take advise from cause I know SQUAT about it, but if it were me and my wife said it was OK, then I'de put it in the hall and let it do whats natural. Since it's flowering, I would expect that to mean that it is healthy and happy, and I would use THAT vs any arguement the wife said :lol:
Best of luck!

macario
Seedling

Advice

Post by macario » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:20 am

Sounds like a plan. I guess its off to the hallway. Have any idea how large the bloom stalk is gonna be?

macario
Seedling

Advice

Post by macario » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:02 pm

Well its opened up all the way now heres a pic

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:12 pm

Not to be so rude, but what are the chances of giving the guy that responded to your post a few seeds from that???? Or do they even have seeds???I don't even know :lol: But if they do, I'de LOVE some seed!!
BTW, They look VERY happy and healthy. You have done a GREAT job with them.

macario
Seedling

Advice

Post by macario » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:16 pm

Sure no problem. I will pollinate some by hand to make sure I get some seeds. Since its indoors theres nothing to pollinate it naturally. I forget easy so remind me in a few weeks and ill see if seed pods develope.

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:38 pm

Hey since you mentioned that, maybe you can answer me a question. I have a Valencia orange. It is blooming now. I was told that I can pollinate it. I know they are self pollintaing, but I also was told they can be manually pollinated too. How do I do this? I have been just taking the fallen flowers pedals and putting it inside a flower that is blooming. Will this work????

macario
Seedling

Advice

Post by macario » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:51 pm

well what I do is get a q tip and pollinate them. If you look at the very center of the flower has one stigma. It should be kind of sticky. kinda of swollen at the tip. The stigma is surounded by stamem. The are many stamen and usally shorter. The stamen usually have bright colored pollen. Just take a Q-tip and roll it on the stamen picking up pollen and then gently dab the pollen on the stigma in the center of the flower. The pollen should stick to the stigma. Then the flower will loose its petals after a couple days and where the flower was you should have fruit grow.

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:31 pm

I tried it, now wish me luck!!!!! :lol:

macario
Seedling

Advice

Post by macario » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:23 pm

What did you pollinate the citrus? That should be cool. I had a meyers lemon tree but it was so picky and it would loose leaves just from be brining it indoors and it finally died. Now I bought a cold hardy orange tree called poncirus trifoliata flying dragon. Its kind of cool and made it through the winter. I dont know when Ill get blooms.

Wes North Van

poncirus trifoliata

Post by Wes North Van » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:26 pm

Is the most hardy of all citrus. It is what they use as a rootstock for most citrus for cold areas.
I understand they taste awful though.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

macario
Seedling

orange

Post by macario » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:37 am

Yes I was told the fruit is very bitter. But with some honey and or sugar that you can make a drinkable juice. I like bitter, I used to drink concentrated lemon juice when I was a child. I get it from my mother.

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:24 am

macario, that yucca's stunning.
How old is it?

Is your hall as bright as its original location? It was obviously very happy there.

macario
Seedling

Yucca

Post by macario » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:10 am

I have no idea how old it is. My wifes brother moved to phoenix and it was growing on the side of his house. He wanted to move it because it was growing in an area that gets shade and he wanted to make a patio where it was. The hall is very very bright and it gets sun from 12 noon till sun set.

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:18 am

Lucky that you've got the necessary height in the hall.
Those of us with only 8 foot ceilings are envious.
I hacked down my Ficus benjamina 'coz it's scraping the popcorn off the ceiling...I should've just moved it around the room until it was all done with the popcorn. :lol:

macario
Seedling

Yucca

Post by macario » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:28 am

You know what I never realized how high there were. I would have used the hall alot sooner. I have some lady palm that are just about touching the ceiling now. I think they will have to go in the hall also.

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:33 am

I'd be movin' my fav chair into the hall, just to be with them...gorgeous!
Guess they don't go outside in the summer?