Off Topic--Wanted, Advice

Discuss all your non palm related stuff here.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Kansas

Off Topic--Wanted, Advice

Post by Kansas » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:59 am

Not palm related but since you fellas/ladies are my only outside friends....
Met a guy that used to be the top top top guy in Kansas when we were TCI Cable. He was it, the head honcho.
He took another job doing the same thing, but for another cable company in Kansas City.
He is thinking of starting a contractor company. He asked if I would be interested in being his Foreman & QC guy.
Now the best part for me, and the worst part for the rest of my family...I would NOT have to move. However, he would fly me to West Palm Beach, Florida to work. 10 days on the job, fly home for 4 days, fly back to West Palm Beach.......
I have a 14 year old and a 4 year old. But my entire life I have been wanting to move to Florida but the wife said no. Here is a shot to work in Florida, and NOT have to move.
Advice???????

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:47 am

Congrats on what sounds like a great opportunity for you. I traveled early in my career. I was gone all week and home on the weekends. It took a toll on my marriage and my relationship with my infant children at the time. I decided that my marriage and my children where more important and decided that traveling was not for me. The only advice I can give you is to make sure you have your wifes 100% support in regard to the choice you make. You are asking her to make a big sacrifice on the home front. Her support will be key if this arrangement is to work.

Good Luck,
Craig

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:39 pm

Wes - congratulations on what sounds like an excellent opportunity. Cali-wana-b gave great advice. Make sure your wife is 100% behind your decision. You are probably going to have to sell her on the idea even if its only for a year or two. For what its worth, if you take the job (and I assume its more money and more responsibility) then you have set a new threshold for the next company that wants your services. Can you say "moving up the food chain". Best of luck in whatever you decide.
Kent in Kansas
where it's cold in winter (always)
and hot in summer (usually)
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

Wes North Van

Wes

Post by Wes North Van » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:42 pm

I couldn't agree more. Your family has to come first.
Good Luck
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

tropicman
Small Palm

Post by tropicman » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:34 pm

How well do you know this guy?
West Palm Beach,very rich neighbor hood!
Be careful,check everything out very carefully
Make sure you ask your kids how they will feel about your long absences,also puts a lot of responsibility on your wife,while your away,my father was away on field trips with Boeing,during my high school years,and we grew a part,and our relationship was never the same.
Before you give up a job with years of service for a new think twice!

Good luck!

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:52 am

Yea, I think I'll keep on trucking along and MAYBE she will decide to move South when the kids Graduate.
I think my oldest may leave for Florida after Graduating as he wants to try to get accepted to "The U". He has the brain (from his Mom) as he is on the Duke watch list for academic scholarship. I don't think he wants Duke tho, however that might have changed as his girlfriend is moving to Gastonia, North Carolina.
My youngest is only 4 and I really want to be here for his school stuff and football.

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:42 am

This may be an opportunity to get a commitment from your wife to move to Florida once the kids are grown. If she understands how big of a 'sacrifice' you made to turn down this great opportunity, she should be willing to move when the time comes.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

PALMETTOMAN
Seedling

Florida

Post by PALMETTOMAN » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:22 pm

Go with your heart Kansas...My advice is to give it a try...

Life can be full of regrets...One year we moved to Calgary (western Canada)..I wanted to use it as a steppin stone to go to coastal BC and live there..

Well...my wife missed home (Ontario) and we ended up back east...

As were getting younger now and feelin the cold, we both dwell on this..many times...

Palmettoman z6-Ajax, On

Barrie

Rarely ...

Post by Barrie » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:57 pm

Very rarely in life are there easy or no-brainer decisions. Even then they never go without some concessions, some more impacting than others. To give advise without knowing you or your situation would be poor judgment on my part. Even best friends can give bad advise. You do however have the comfort in knowing that palm enthusiasts here support you in whatever the future holds.

Cheers, Barrie.